5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2018 7:48 AM by Eoghan Lyons

Grey out Data/Crosstab on Tableau Server

Eoghan Lyons

Hi all,

I'm looking to obscure the download button from a Tableau workbook if at all possible.

I have some workbooks which I've published to Tableau Server. These are then used on a company website, the website incorporates the tableau dashboard within one of their pages. I have set permissions within the permissions section so that people can't download the data.

When I ask people to check though they still have the option to do so. Has anyone encountered something like this before and/or found a solution to it? Is there a way where they can't see the download button at all?

Many thanks,

Eoghan.

• 1. Re: Grey out Data/Crosstab on Tableau Server
          Akram Ebrahim

Hi Eoghan,

If the users really want to only view the dashboards then you can just provide viewer permission

View or Edit Permissions - Tableau

There is also a custom permission on customer level

While embedding the URL of tableau server you can remove the toolbar contains download option

Hope this Helps!

3 of 3 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Grey out Data/Crosstab on Tableau Server
            Akram Ebrahim

Hi Eoghan

close this thread if the answer is helpful and correct. If you have solved in a different approach eager to know about it

• 3. Re: Grey out Data/Crosstab on Tableau Server
              Eoghan Lyons

Hi Akram,

Many thanks for your suggestion, and my apologies for the delayed response.

Unfortunately the engineers can't do that (they are the web designers and it's not a forte of mine so I'll assume there's a good reason for that), so I'm left with the permissioning step in Tableau server.

Frustratingly this seems to work out ok in certain aspects of permissioning but not others. For example, in the dashboards I have published if I change the permission to allow the workbook to be downloaded or not then this option changes accordingly. However, if I make any changes to permissions of downloading summary data or image/pdf it has no effect. Oddly in some of the files there display shows a default option (which when I try to change it doesn't work) of being able to download image or pdf with everything else greyed out, and in some other files everything but the Tableau workbook download option is permitted.

So as I can see that some changes to permissions work (downloading Tableau workbook), I know I'm checking the correct file from Tableau server. As the changes for permissions don't seem to work for anything else it looks like I'll have to contact support.

I'll leave this open for the moment in case I manage to find a solution or if Tableau inform me of an error.

Eoghan

• 4. Re: Grey out Data/Crosstab on Tableau Server
                Akram Ebrahim

Ok! Hope you have already raised a case ticket to tableau customer support. Do follow up with team, if you find out a way mention here, it will be helpful for me and others.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Grey out Data/Crosstab on Tableau Server
                  Eoghan Lyons

I have yes, if I hear back I will update.