6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2018 8:10 AM by Joe Oppelt

How to split view into multiple pages

Shahroz Ahmed

Hello Guys,

I hope you guys doing well.

I have one question. I created one dashboard in table data format. You can see a dumpy dashboard pic, I have attached for reference. In pic, you can see the huge data is visible and viewer can scroll down to see the data. Now my question or problem is my viewer want me to split views into pages and at the end it shows like 1 2 3 ....... so on and they can click to jump into that page. rather than scrolling down.

The amount of data is huge.

• 1. Re: How to split view into multiple pages
          venkatram

Hey Ahmed,

Its not possible to split view like what your expecting. however, you can filter have filter option to go from one row to another quickly.

• 2. Re: How to split view into multiple pages
            Deepak Rai

You can do this using Size() and Index() Function

Like FIRST()=0 and SIZE()=25 then 25 Rows on one Page

Then IF INDEX=26 and SIZE()=50 then Next 25 and so on...

Thanks

Deepak

• 3. Re: How to split view into multiple pages
              Joe Oppelt

You can have a filter on your sheet that shows selected rows based on a parameter setting, for example.

If the user selects 1, then you get the first chunk of rows.  Let's say you want to show 20 rows at a time.  the filter would look something like this:

INDEX() >= (([parameter value]-1)*20) + 1

and

INDEX() <= (([parameter value]-1)*20) + 20

Put that on your filter shelf and select for value = TRUE.

NOTE:  The above is only an example.   I didn't test it out or put it in a calc to make sure it compiles.  You'll have to work out the details of that.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to split view into multiple pages
                Shahroz Ahmed

Deepak,

Joe's reply is giving me solution to what i am looking but still I want to understand your response too. I know you replied very simple response but I new in tableau field and I never use first, size and index function. If you explain a bit, I will try to use your response too. How should i use following calculation

Like FIRST()=0 and SIZE()=25 then 25 Rows on one Page

Then IF INDEX=26 and SIZE()=50 then Next 25 and so on...

Thanks

Shahroz

• 5. Re: How to split view into multiple pages
                  Shahroz Ahmed

Hello Joe,

Your response is really helpful. I just want to know one more thing. I show parameter control now it shows either as a slider or compact list. Is there any way I can show like you see " 1 2 3 4 ...... 10".

you may have seen in website where you can see web pages look like 2 you click 2 to jump into page #2 and 3 to jump into page#3. Is there way I can present the parameter like that?

My another question is your response really helpful. But I have created report on basis on date range. User has ability to select start date and end date. you may have seen in online bank statement where you can specify the date you want to see from and till date. Right?

In show control parameter will show more values which won't have data because of the date range i select has less amount of data. So what should i do to only show values in parameter control where it contains the data? rather than all

• 6. Re: How to split view into multiple pages
                    Joe Oppelt

You can format the parameter to be a single-value radio-button list.  And to the best of my knowledge, you can't format those buttons to be on a horizontal line.  I can only get them to be vertical.  But at least that gives your users a one-click interface to the parameter.  I attached a 10.5 superstore example.  (The parameter doesn't do anything.  I just have it there to show the formatting option.)

You're right about running into blank sheets when there are fewer pages of data than the number selected.  Today (as of V 2018.2) we don't have a way to limit the parameter list.  But in 2018.3 (soon to be released!) there is a new feature called set actions and it lets us build a set that acts like a parameter, and we have control of the members in that set.  So you can have a calc that determines the max number of pages the user can see given the filter selections, and you can limit the set to that max number.

There is a way to move the parameter list up and down so that the page number that should not be accessible would get hidden behind some object below the parameter list.  It's complicated.  It would be hard to describe here.  And I don't have the bandwidth to hack up an example.  If you really need to address the blank page issue before 2018.3 comes out, you might want to engage a consultant