1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 5, 2018 10:23 AM by Yuriy Fal

Using regular filters across data sources

Ravit Thapar

Hi Tableau community,

I am trying to work with two data sources and achieve filtering capabilities between the two.

Scenario:

Data source 1 has information about items, cost and packages (a package is a bundled group of items)

Data source 2 has information about similar items and their costs. (No package info here)

Objective:

To compare costs between items which are sold in a package versus the same items which are sold individually

Example description:

DATA SOURCE 1: 

PackageItemCost
      pck_1item_A10
      item_B12
      item_C15
      pck_2item_D20
      item_A11
      pck_3item_E25
      item_F15
      item_G30

DATA SOURCE 2:

ItemCost
      item_A16
      item_B18
      item_C22
      item_D24
      item_E30
      item_F20
      item_G40

• From the above sample data, I am trying to create a dashboard visualization with two worksheets:
        • Worksheet 1 (Package Sheet): package, item and cost on the rows section with a filter on package field. [Data Source 1]
        • Worksheet 2 (Individual Sheet): item and cost on the rows section. [Data Source 2]
      • When I filter the dashboard based on "Package" field, "Package sheet" will filter the items accordingly but I would like to also filter the "Individual Sheet" to show only the corresponding items as in the current view of the package sheet.

Basically, I am trying to do a simple item versus item comparison between the two sheets filtered on a particular package. I know this could be possible using action filters on the Package sheet, however, I am trying to achieve this using regular filters on the dashboard. Is this possible to do? If yes, then I'd appreciate any help, example and/or thoughts.

Thank you!