2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2018 2:02 PM by Wissam Kahi

Characters change in Pivot step

Wissam Kahi

I have noticed that the pivot step is changing a number of characters during the Pivot step (like "<",">","[" in particular to "(", "&lt;" etc). See below a few examples. As a result, my joins are failing between the original value (in a file that has not been pivoted ( and the pivoted file).

• 1. Re: Characters change in Pivot step
          Joshua Milligan

Wissam,

What version of Tableau Prep are you using?  This was a known issue in previous versions, but I have not experienced it with the most recent release.

Best Regards,

Joshua

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Characters change in Pivot step
            Wissam Kahi

Joshua,

Thanks for your answer! I was working with 2018.2 but I just upgraded to 2018.3.1 and tried again. It solved the issue partially (the "<" is not transforming into "&lt;" anymore. However I still have 2 issues:

1) The "[" is transforming into "(" when I upload the file with these characters in the column. But when they are values it does not - therefore the mismatch you see below

2) The upload is truncating the field to a limited set of characters (is that a limitation of Prep?) so that the match is not working on the join again (i.e.

239: <strong>Non-Residential Construction</strong> (Commercial, Hospitals, Educational, Govt. Buildings, Religious):Verticals (

vs the original

239: <strong>Non-Residential Construction</strong> (Commercial, Hospitals, Educational, Govt. Buildings, Religious):Verticals (Gen-Rent)

Also see the mismatch below

3) In the meantime I have cleaned the file in excel using a simple "find / replace" to remove all the extra characters. This is time consuming. It would of course be awesome if Tableau Prep could add such a simple feature in its cleaning menu to replace characters in bulk (in many ways it's much simpler than the smart clean actions that exist today)