6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2018 11:25 AM by Brendan Mackie

How do I use 'start date' and 'end date'

Brendan Mackie

I know that this question gets asked a lot--and despite trawling through the collected answers, I still can't make anything work for my data. I have worked through the tutorials, read through the step-by-step help and still--I feel like I'm missing something.

My problem:

I have a database of 18th century British clubs. I want to make a line graph showing how many of these are active at any particular time, and then filter these based on criteria like location and club type. But the start date and end date of the clubs are recorded in two fields called 'start date' and 'end date.' I cannot for the life of me figure out how to tell tableau to make a line graph where is shows me, say, on the x axis all the years from 1700 to 1800, and then on the y axis the number of clubs that were active in that time period (i.e. which have a start date equal to or after the current date, and equal to or before the current date.) Each club, fyi, has a unique numerical 'Club ID.'

The background:

This will be a key component of my dissertation research. Because I'm dealing with historical data, and a big sprawling dissertation, I'm afraid that right now my data are a bit messy.

The bribe:

If you help me I'll put you in the acknowledgements to my dissertation and--if it turns into a book--I'll put you in the acknowledgements of my book!

I've attached a packaged workbook.