4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2018 12:06 PM by Brandon Scott

Permissions for Saving Custom Views - Tableau Server

Brandon Scott

Hello!  I've been having some trouble finding specifics on this on forum pages and in the documentation.

I need my users to be able to save custom views. Not just being restricted to 'View: Original'.  They are 'Viewer' level licenses, and I need to not give them Web Edit level access.

I have not been able to figure out what the correct level of permissions is between Project, Workbook, and Datasource.

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

• 1. Re: Permissions for Saving Custom Views - Tableau Server
          Mark McGhee

Hi Brandon,

I might be misinterpreting your question, but going strictly by the license level, it doesn't look like Viewer would have permission to "create/save" custom views

Tableau Pricing for Teams & Organizations

The above page contains a table and if I look at the "Interact" section, the "Create and Share Custom Views" is only checked for Creator and Explorer.

• 2. Re: Permissions for Saving Custom Views - Tableau Server
            Brandon Scott

Thanks for the response Mark.

A little testing shows that to be congruent.  My follow-up then is what is limiting me from setting my users as explorers?  We only have Viewer and Creator licenses, but I am still able to set users as explorers.

If I set the users that need to be able to save views as Explorer (CANNOT Publish) does that keep them as occupying a Viewer License since we do not have Explorer Licenses?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Permissions for Saving Custom Views - Tableau Server
              Mark McGhee

Hi Brandon,

That's a good question and I'll be honest, I haven't played with the newer roles a lot.   If you decide to try that out, I would recommend testing it in a non-Production environment and taking a backup of that environment *before* you make the change.   The one thing as well, for Explorer (cannot Publish) it's possible that may not get you there in that I know for example that when folks would want to make a change to a workbook via webedit in their browser, if they didn't have "publish" permission they wouldn't be able to save because in essence, if you can "save" something you're basically still "re-publishing it", if  that makes sense.

• 4. Re: Permissions for Saving Custom Views - Tableau Server
                Brandon Scott

Thanks Mark.

I know that Explorer will let my users be able to save their own views and then I can Deny web edit access to workbooks. (We have PHI and we have to block access to underlying data).  So I know setting them as Explorer (cannot publish) will allow them to do what I need them to do.

I'm just not sure if I can do License: Viewer with Site Role: Explorer.  Or if it will default up to Creator since we do not have Explorer licenses.  Will do some testing and post what I find out.