2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2018 4:54 AM by John Hobby

Customer wants data list to make mailing labels for export

John Hobby

Howdy ya'll,

I have a customer who needs to generate some mailing labels from her data extract.  This extract contains just under 1m patient demographics.  I created another custom extract that trims this down to only contain the address to build this request, but still has the ~1m records - just not as many columns. 

All of the work (building a report to export for mailing labels) is being done via the Web Editor (customer does not have desktop.  We are running TS 10.4)

The report they built, currently has 6 columns and is filtered by state - but sometimes the report crashes because it's still trying to render a ton of data in the report.  I've added a couple more filters, but still the report crashes at times when the row counts gets high.

Just curious if anyone has ever run into something like this or a similar request dealing with lots of rows for extraction?  If so, how did you resolve it? 

Thanks,

John

• 1. Re: Customer wants data list to make mailing labels for export
          Ken Flerlage

When you use the term, "extract", can I assume you're talking about exporting the data to Excel (or something like that), rather than talking about an actual Tableau Extract file format? If so, what method are you using to export the data?

• 2. Re: Customer wants data list to make mailing labels for export
            John Hobby

The "extract" is the company extract of data (TDE) on the TS.  This is pretty much all the client data that is pulled from our Oracle DB into the TS.  The client is wanting to view a report or something that they can then use to print / view some type of mailing labels.  No idea if that's even feasible, but just trying to think of something to help.  They are trying to create this stuff for a few 100k worth of patient mailing labels at a time, and of course it breaks when 'extracting' into a crosstab to use in excel.

I'm open to other ideas or suggestions to present to the client