13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2018 3:39 AM by helen.xiao

Questions about Dashboard Actions

helen.xiao

Hello,

I have created a dashboard that has 5 different charts (1 bar chart, 1 map and 3 pie charts) on top and 1 drilldown table underneath. Initially, this dashboard only shows the top -5 charts (1 bar chart, 1 map and 3 pie charts), and the drill down table is hidden.

In our requirements, the user would like to only have the top-5 charts show up and the drill down table hidden when initially load this dashboard. When the user clicks on any of the top 5 charts in any order, they would like to see the correct detail information in the drill down table. The drill down table will not show when nothing is selected. When the user clicks on any of the top 5 charts (even when 1 chart is clicked), the drill down table is expected to show up. The top-5 charts should also interact with each other. There should be only ONE “visible” drilldown table allowed, and the top-5 charts should control the same “visible” drill down table. The top-5 charts should also control each other (The top-5 charts should interact with each other).

For example, when click on the Jun 2018 bar, then the map and the 3 pie charts should change and only show the data of Jun 2018, and the drill down table should show up and has detail information of June 2018.

For now, the problem I am having is, there is no drilldown table show up when click on the Jun 2018 bar. Only if all the 5 charts are actively clicked, the drill down table show up. The user want to see the drill down table when any of the bar, map or pie charts is/are clicked. So the actions of this dashboard do not function as what we expect.

I have attached the workbooks (one version in v2018.2 and one version in v10.5) and our sample data (Excel).

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you very much

• 1. Re: Questions about Dashboard Actions
          Joe Oppelt

I have this open, but I don't understand what you want to do.

I see a bar chart, a map, and 5 pies.

What do you want to have happen when I click something?

• 2. Re: Questions about Dashboard Actions
            helen.xiao

Initially,  this dashboard shows 1 bar chart, 1 map and 3 pie charts, and the drill down table is hidden.

When click on a month bar in the bar chart, (or a state in the map, or a piece on a pie), the user would like to see the drill down table.

For example, click on the Jun 2018 bar, then 84 records show in the drill down table.

For now, the problem I am having is, there is no drilldown table show up when click on the Jun 2018 bar. Only if all the 5 charts are actively clicked, the drill down table show up. The user want to see the drill down table when any of the bar, map or pie charts is/are clicked.

• 3. Re: Questions about Dashboard Actions
              Joe Oppelt

This is a screen shot of your Detail2 sheet:

You have all sorts of conflicting action filters there.  They all say to exclude all values when you clear the selection.  So unless the action for each one is invoked, the non-invoked ones are all nulled out.

Do you have just one detail sheet that you want activated from any of these 5 initial sheets? (Detail2).

• 4. Re: Questions about Dashboard Actions
                Joe Oppelt

Further, when I click a state, it changes the Volume Bar sheet.  Do you want that?  (And do you want a click on a state to change the pies?)

• 5. Re: Questions about Dashboard Actions
                  helen.xiao

Thank your for reply.

Yes. I only have one detail sheet Detail2.

Yes. The users want the top 5 charts (1 bar chart, map, 3 pie charts) interact with each other. For example, click on the Jun 2018 bar, then the map and 3 pie charts only show data of Jun 2018 and 84 records show in the drill down table.

Thank you

• 6. Re: Questions about Dashboard Actions
                    Joe Oppelt

There are just too many conflicting actions as you have the dashboard currently laid out.

Here is what I did.  First of all, I cleared out all the actions so that they are still on the action list, but there were no target sheets selected.  And I went through all the sheets and deleted all the action filters that were previously added to each sheet by the actions you had set up.

I made separate copies of Detail2 so that each of the top 5 sheets opens its own Detail sheet.  I floated them all in the same container that you originally has Detail2.  (I didn't do one for Detail2 Investor.  You can do that one.)

So first I got the 4 Detail sheets to display/clear when you click on each top-5 sheet.  (I hope you didn't want the detail sheet to be impacted by more than 1 top-5 sheet.  If so ... I'm not sure you're going to get that to work because of the "exclude Values" requirement.)

Next I made the "Bar" action impact the other 4 top-5 sheets.  These will interact OK because we are selecting "leave filter" on that action, so the "exclude" functionality is not impacting us here.

So now when you click on a bar, two actions fire off:  Display the details, and impact all top-5 sheets.  You can set up the other 4 top-5 sheets the same way.

Do not include any Detail sheets as targets when you set up the actions to change the other top-5 sheets.

• 7. Re: Questions about Dashboard Actions
                      Joe Oppelt

One last thing.  When I did the map-to-detail action, for some reason it forced me to specify the [Property State].  All the other actions picked up the dimension to pass to the target sheet, but for some reason the Map-to-Detail one wasn't doing it.  I can't explain why.

(My personal preference is to specify selected fields anyway, so I don't have a lot of experience with relying on "All Fields" and any possible quirks in there.)

• 8. Re: Questions about Dashboard Actions
                        helen.xiao

Thank you very much for help me. Thank you for replying.

I ever tried to the method of the 5 drill down tables. The problem I am having is that, when the user clicks the more than 1 of the top-5 charts, there will show more than 1 drill down tables. For example, the Nov 2017 bar and Texas state are clicked, there are 2 drill down tables. See below. The user will not know which drilldown table belongs to which top-5 charts.

Payoff Activity.jpg

Therefore, I got requirements that there should be only ONE drilldown table allowed, and  the top-5 charts should control the same drill down table. The top-5 charts also control each other (The top-5 charts interact with each other).

• 9. Re: Questions about Dashboard Actions
                          Joe Oppelt

I can also pass a value so that only the drilldown for the last click will be displayed.

The problem with all the top-5 trying to control one Detail sheet is that if you want it to disappear when you clear a selection, (which is usually the way you want to set up a drilldown like this), the filters for all 5 top-5 sheets remain on the detail sheet, and each one stays empty until the user clicks on the respective sheet again.  So once you click a month and then clear it, the action filter for that sheet remains empty, no matter what else you also click on other sheets.  And with that filter empty, no rows can be returned.

• 10. Re: Questions about Dashboard Actions
                            helen.xiao

Thank you for help

My colleague ever posted our questions months ago. We tried the method unfortunately it does not work. Maybe it is because we have too many worksheets (5 charts on top and 5 drilldowns in the bottom). Maybe our data structure is not good enough to support the expected actions?

Sheet Swapping for drilldown actions

Therefore, we got the current data sources ( see the attached excel file.).  We got our current requirements that there should be only ONE drilldown table allowed, and  the top-5 charts should control the same drill down table. The top-5 charts also control each other (The top-5 charts interact with each other).

I am also wondering whether the data structure is factor to affect the dashboard actions.

• 11. Re: Questions about Dashboard Actions
                              Joe Oppelt

It's not the data source or the data structure.

It's the way Tableau is designed to remember all the clicks on all the sheets.

Having 5 detail sheets eliminates the conflict of the 5 actions.

As far as your users are concerned, they will be seeing only one detail sheet if you design it correctly.  And that's what being a Tableau designer is all about.  It satisfied the requirements of the visualization the user is asking for.  It's not the user's responsibility (or authority) to tell you how to make it happen.

The requirement of having 5 sheets each calling for a detail pop-out makes your job harder, but you can do it.  But it's going to take 5 detail sheets to make it happen, no matter what data source or data design you have.

Actually, it's the fact that you want it to pop out only when something is selected that is the root of the conflict.  Again, when all 5 action filters are on one sheet, and you have "exclude" when you clear the filters, then you have to have all 5 sheets selected in one way or another, all at the same time.  And we know that's not always going to be the case for your users.

• 12. Re: Questions about Dashboard Actions
                                Joe Oppelt

OK, I thought of something else.

You  might be able to do it on one sheet.  It will take some detail work to get there.

If you were to put all those actions on, but NOT do "exclude", then they won't conflict with each other.  What it will take is a way to make the sheet disappear if NOTHING is clicked.

In the attached I made Detail2 (2).

I made two calcs.  A FIXED LOD called [States in Data] tells me how many states are in the data source, no matter what else has been filtered out.  And the EXCLUDE LOD tells me how many states are actually on the sheet because of filtering.  The way to make the EXCLUDE work for this is to add to the exclude list each and every dimension on the sheet.  Then the COUNTD tells me what's actually on the sheet without regard to any dimensions displayed on the sheet.

In the title of the sheet I display the value of both calcs.

When the two calcs are equal, all states are selected.

You would make a pair of these calcs for each dimension that is being impacted by one of the top-5 sheets.

When the two calcs are equal for all 5 dimensions, then nothing was clicked in the top-5.

You would make a filter that would look something like this:

IF [States in Data]=[States in Sheet]

And

[Investors in Data]=[investors in Sheet]

and...

(do all 5 pairs of calcs)
                                THEN 0 ELSE 1 END

If you put that on filters and select for value = 1, then rows will display if any of those pairs are not equal.  and nothing will display if they are all equal.

• 13. Re: Questions about Dashboard Actions
                                  helen.xiao

Thank you very much for your help. We will try this method.