4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2018 4:16 AM by Bastiaan Brak

(How) can I use final value from table calculation applied to one visualisation (line chart) to inform another (map)?

Bastiaan Brak

hello all, I'm stuck on a particular problem so hope someone can help me out; what I would like to achieve is for the locations on the map to adopt the same (dynamic) colour as the datapoints in the line chart on the final day.

The problem I'm having is that the Calculated Field that I'm using to indicate Risk status in the Line chart applies to that visualisation only and I'm not sure how (or if possible at all) to manipulate it so that it applies to the locations on the map too.

Any ideas?

Many thanks, Bastiaan 

• 1. Re: (How) can I use final value from table calculation applied to one visualisation (line chart) to inform another (map)?
          Jim Dehner

Hi I don't know what you are doing but is this what you  wanted

the color formula is a table calc (you knew that) -- table calcs work on the underlying table for each the individual sheet -

to accomplish what you want you have to rebuild the table under the map buy adding in the fields from your detail sheet

and then setting up the color mak the same on each sheet

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 2. Re: (How) can I use final value from table calculation applied to one visualisation (line chart) to inform another (map)?
            Bastiaan Brak

hi Jim, thanks for quick response! It's close but not quite there yet. For example, if Threshold is set at 200 and Starting date is set at 18 Sept. then two locations should be green on the map, the rest should be red but your implementation renders 12 locations green that should be red.

To give one more scenario: if Threshold is set at 200 and Starting date is set at 25 Sept. then 3 locations should be green, 4 locations should be amber and the rest should be red, but current implementation does not achieve this.

The data assumes that current day is 12 October. The logic for Risk status is that any location that exceeds the threshold on a day in the past, today or tomorrow (i.e up to 13 October) will be allocated a 3 (i.e. Red), if a location exceeds the threshold on any day 14-16 October it is allocated a 2 (i.e. Amber), if a location does not exceed threshold at all it is allocated Risk status 1 (i.e. Green).

Hope that helps,

Regards, Bastiaan

• 3. Re: (How) can I use final value from table calculation applied to one visualisation (line chart) to inform another (map)?
              Jim Dehner

Well - suggest you continue to work with the concept I gave you - try varying the settings on the table calcs

As I said before - I don't know the analysis - I responded to you question about how to get values from a table calc from the sheet to the map - yu rebuild the table -

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 4. Re: (How) can I use final value from table calculation applied to one visualisation (line chart) to inform another (map)?
                Bastiaan Brak

Jim, my question was not merely generic (i.e. "how to get values from a table calc from the sheet to the map"), I included a very specific description of what I intended to achieve from the outset ("what I would like to achieve is for the locations on the map to adopt the same (dynamic) colour as the datapoints in the line chart on the final day"). I've tried, but unfortunately have not been able to accomplish this based on the concept you described. I acknowledge that might well be down to my limited understanding of Tableau table calculations.

Based on a tip from a colleague I have managed to solve it in a different way though, so will attach the solution just in case someone might be interested.