3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2018 10:03 AM by Daniel Stanish

Tableau 10.1.3 compatible with Windows 10?

Shannon Lepore

Hi,

I was recently upgraded to Windows 10 and since then I can't publish anything to Tableau server.  We're on 10.1.3. When attempting to publish, it prompts for the password of the account used to connect to the data source (SQL Server).  I enter the password and it appears that its trying to connect.  The Processing Request - Connecting to data source window appears. Then it times out and I get this error. 

I can connect to SQL Server outside of Tableau. There are no issues with my old Windows 7 machine so I'm still using it to publish to Tableau server.

I was told that there is a know issue with Windows 10 working with Tableau server but I haven't found anything online to validate this.

Any insight would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Tableau 10.1.3 compatible with Windows 10?
          Daniel Stanish

Good day Shannon.

What version is your Tableau server? Is it the same as the Tableau Desktop version? Is the SQL server you're connecting to on a separate machine than the Tableau server?

And, is there a firewall in place between your Tableau server and the SQL Server? The error messages looks like it's failing to make a network connection, and firewall issues have not been a friend of mine. Can you connect with SQL Server Management Studio on the Tableau Server to the SQL Server?

-Dan

• 2. Re: Tableau 10.1.3 compatible with Windows 10?
            Shannon Lepore

Both Tableau Server and Tableau Desktop are 10.1.3.

SQL Server is on a separate machine from Tableau Server.

There is no firewall in place between SQL Server and Tableau Server.  They are both hosted by the same consulting group.

• 3. Re: Tableau 10.1.3 compatible with Windows 10?
              Daniel Stanish

Good day Shannon.

Was the Tableau Server also upgraded to Windows 10? If so, did it possibly have a "host" file set up to link to the database server? This stores custom to IP address mappings. An upgrade may have reset the file and the system is unable to do this lookup.

If not, I would try from the Tableau server to ping the database server address. Using the command (line) tool, type in:

ping <your database server address>

-Dan