4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2018 2:18 AM by Dragos Corbu

How to compare daily data?

Dragos Corbu

Hello,

I have the following scenario that i need help on.

My input is a top 50 products on a website. The data are gathered daily by a scraper and then sent to Tableau via API.

When i refresh the data each day, Tableau receives today's top 50.

What I need is to compare today top 50 to yesterday's data, or last months data, or any data at a specific date.

Can I achieve this with Tableau? Can i append the data received each day and store it in a way that I can analyse it in Tableau?

Or do I need to first append the new data and then serve it as an input to Tableau? The second scenario would be much more complicated for me.

Thank you

• 1. Re: How to compare daily data?
          Tushar  More

You need to maintain a date column in your file that tracks new and old records. Once the new data is loaded, you can setup a logic that compares and gives the desired output.

~Tushar

• 2. Re: How to compare daily data?
            Dragos Corbu

Hi,

The table is generated daily and has a column that contains the date.

This is how the data looks:

Date, Position, Product name, price

16.10.2018, 1, ProductX, 100

16.10.2018, 2, ProductY, 120

The next day the data may change to:

Date, Position, Product name, price

17.10.2018, 1, ProductY, 120

17.10.2018, 2, ProductZ, 500

The issue is that new data is not added(appended) to the initial table, but replaces it. My question was if Tableau is able to store the data it receives daily, or do i need to provide a different input.

Thank you.

• 3. Re: How to compare daily data?
              Tushar  More

If your new data replaces the old data, you won't be able to compare it. Because Tableau works on the data you have in the data source. So in order do to such comparison you have to build a process that preserves the details of your data and append it to the new file.

Hope it makes sense.

~Tushar

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to compare daily data?
                Dragos Corbu

Hi Tushar,

I think you are wright. I believe I need to use an intermediary database or data warehouse where i have to store the data, and only after that i will be able to send the data to Tableau.

Thank you.