5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2018 9:55 AM by Simon Runc

Selected row values as filter in other worksheets

Ian Johnson

I having trouble implementing a dynamic filter. The desired behavior would be to have a user select an employee's name and update four box and whisker plots filtered to that person's relevant coding.Each box and whisker should show a single distribution of hourly wage rates for just the selected users code.

The simplified structure data is Name, Hourly Wage Rate ($), Position Title, Code1, Code2, Code3.

Each code has their own box and whisker plot distributions, but I am not sure how to filter to only look at the code assigned to the user selected on the dashboard filter. Something along the lines of sharing only relevant code values to the filter on each distribution sheet?

• 1. Re: Selected row values as filter in other worksheets
          Simon Runc

Hi Ian,

So rather than add the Name filter on each sheet, you want to add it to one sheet and then apply it across the others. This means there is only one filter instance, and if it's changed in any sheet (or on the dashboard) it will be reflected in all the sheets.

Hope that does the trick

• 2. Re: Selected row values as filter in other worksheets
            Ian Johnson

Unfortunately, that is not quite what I'm looking for. Filtering by Name on the hourly rate distributions leaves a single point. (the one hourly rate associated with said person). What I'm looking for is for the plot to be filtered to only show the distrbution of hourly wages for the title of the person selected. In screenshot above, if Jane Doe (who has an Architect I position title) is selected, filter the position title distributions sheet to only show the Architect I row.

If Jane's code1 = xA0, then only show the xA0 row in the code1 distribution worksheet.

Hopefully that does a better job of describing the desired behavior, though I'm a bit resigned that this even possible.

• 3. Re: Selected row values as filter in other worksheets
              Simon Runc

hi Ian,

Yes that makes sense, and we can do this (with a small limitation) with parameters and sets

First Create a parameter of your Last Name values (this will act as our filter). If you do it like the below the parameter will be populated from the field values.

This is the small limitation. Although we can set a parameter (initially) from a field it won't automatically updated the list of values when/if the data updates (so if new names come in, you'll need to go into the parameter, clear it out and then re-set up from that field). This is THE most requested feature for Tableau to add!

Once we have this we need to create a set on the Job Position Title

We then switch to Conditional Set and enter the formula like this

MAX(IIF([Base Last Name]=[Select Last Name],1,0))=1

Then add this set to the filter in the sheets, expose the parameter on your dashboard and you're good to go.

In your example you may need to create a set in a similar way for each of the levels you want (eg. Job Cupa Desc, Jon Soc Fed Desc...etc.) if you only want one row from each of your sheets.

How/why this works takes a bit of thinking about, but is one of my fave tricks! ...once you get how this works I find it gave me a much deeper understanding of Tableau!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Selected row values as filter in other worksheets
                Ian Johnson

Thanks Simon! this works perfectly. Sets are a new concept for me, but this makes sense.

Thanks again for the thorough help!

• 5. Re: Selected row values as filter in other worksheets
                  Simon Runc

Cool. Yeah sets are pretty powerful things and are going to become even more so when Tableau release the option (currently in Beta) to set the set-members from actions!