2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2018 6:45 AM by Simon Runc

URL Actions and Filters are not working in sync

Divya Teja

Hello Everyone,

Hope you are doing great.

I have an issue which i am facing now and of high priority with URL actions and filters.

Let me explain clearly:

I have dashboard containing about 5 to 6 views with two datasources. 4 views are coming from datasource 1 and 1 view is coming from datasource 2.

We have around 6 global filters which are applied to all the related data sources.

Now the issue is when I am adding navigation filter passing all my filters from dashboard 1 to dashboard 2  all the views are popping up but when I am trying to change filters internally after passing navigation's the view which is coming from secondary data source is not coming up. These dashboards have live connection to tableau server and the issue we see is on Tableau Server. Currently we are on Tableau version 10.5.

I cannot post the workbook or screen shot as the data is highly confidential.

Could someone help me how we could we resolve this.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Best Regards,

Divya

• 1. Re: URL Actions and Filters are not working in sync
          Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Hello Divya,

It will be difficult to assist without seeing a workbook with at least some sample data.  You may try reviewing this Think Data Thursday where Actions are reviewed in detail by one of our amazing Community Ambassadors - Simon Runc

Packaged workbooks: when, why, how

I hope this helps

Patrick

• 2. Re: URL Actions and Filters are not working in sync
            Simon Runc

hi Divya,

So if i understand you correctly ...you are using the trick where you expose the "Actions" as filters on dashboard 2, and then want to fiddle with what is filtered from these filter versions of the actions, and when you do the sheets from the secondary/other data source aren't updating.

If that's the case that is a tough one! While we can pass filter values between datasources, it does generate a second set of filters (unlike everything else with Filter actions, "Apply to all related datasources" isn't one of the options we have.

We had this problem at my work recently. Our solution was by "hook or by crook" force the data sources together (even if it means an ugly union where only the common fields are lined up) ...it wasn't pretty, but did get the job done.

Post back and let me know if you are still having this problem, if I've understood it correctly and (if so) did you find a nicer solution than our one!