4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2018 4:03 PM by Ashraf Dahab

Granularity

Ashraf Dahab

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Tableau, just got the license keys last week.

I am struggling with finding a way to report on various granularity levels. Here's an example..

Say you have a schema of Orders that contains the following tables:

1. Orders (fact)

2. Customers (Dimension, links to Orders)

3. Order Details (fact, links to Orders)

Simple stuff!

If I build the relationships between the tables in the data sheet on Desktop, I would typically define to relationships:

1. Orders to Customers

2. Orders to Order Details

This will create a record (on Desktop) for each Order Detail item, right?

Now when reporting on Orders level, say all Orders placed on a particular date, I get the sum of number of Order Details (because of the relationship!)

If Orders has 3 records, and Order Details has 10, then the data will contain 30 records. This is logical, but creates a reporting problem if I only want to report on Orders level.

How can I do that, while keeping the relationships in place?

Thanks

Ashraf

• 1. Re: Granularity
          Jim Dehner

Good morning

suggest you see the training link at Tableau Training: View Training Courses

the training is in categories and each topics - videos are 3-5 minutes

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 2. Re: Granularity
            Ashraf Dahab

Hi Jim,

That’s what I’ve been doing for quite some time now, but it is hard to just keep going from video to another not knowing when that topic will pop up!

I was thinking someone would direct me to the most relevant video or post.

Sent from my iPhone

• 3. Re: Granularity
              Jim Dehner

the fundamental capability of tableau levelarges the type of relationships you want

just take a simple example and play with it to see that it does

please post your workbook - in twbx format with the data

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 4. Re: Granularity
                Ashraf Dahab

Thanks Jim!

Now, on the example sheet you shared in the image below, how would you plot orders by ship date? Say quarterly. That’s the higher level I’m looking for.

Sent from my iPhone