12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2018 10:38 AM by Michael Myers

Automatic Split

Michael Myers

Hi. I'm following the tutorial here and when I do the Split Values / Automatic Split, it does not break out the price.  And no matter what I try, I'm unable to break that price out using the tools that Custom Split has. Any help would be very much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Automatic Split
          Jim Dehner

Hi Michael

I had the same result - need to d a custom split twice once on | and then on $

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 2. Re: Automatic Split
            Michael Myers

Hi Jim. Thank you very much for your help! Unfortunately, using the $ sign isn’t working for me. When I do the split it shows only 2 prices ($8.99 and $9.99) instead of showing a price for every book. I believe it’s aggregating the prices but can’t be sure. Please take a look at the attached image. Prepping for class tomorrow . . .

Please let me know what you think.

Thank you,

Michael

Michael Myers

Associate Teaching Professor, Department of Marketing

Daniels College of Business, University of Denver

2101 S University Boulevard, Ste 493

Denver, CO 80210

Phone: +1.720.641.2501 | email: michael.myers@du.edu<mailto:michael.myers@du.edu> | Twitter: @michaelmyers

My site<http://cruc.es> | University Profile<http://portfolio.du.edu/michaelmyers>

Marketing Expertise. Experiential Learning. Locally Connected. Globally Applied.

• 3. Re: Automatic Split
              Jim Dehner

Hi - the image is the university logo - but what you are saying may be the case - I forwarded over to some contacts I have at Tableau - that doesn't do you any good -

Jim

• 4. Re: Automatic Split
                Michael Myers

I removed the logo and included the image. Let me know if it comes through . . .

• 5. Re: Automatic Split
                  Jim Dehner

Good morning

the mass market data only has 2 price points

No Middle Name | Lee Child $9.99 | ISBN: 9780399593598
                  Ready Player One | Ernest Cline $9.99 | ISBN: 9780804190145
                  The Whistler | John Grisham $9.99 | ISBN: 9781101967683
                  Red Sparrow | Jason Matthews $9.99 | ISBN: 9781501168918
                  Never Never | James Patterson $9.99 | ISBN: 9781478944782
                  1984 | George Orwell $9.99 | ISBN: 9780451524935
                  The Husband's Secret | Liane Moriarty $9.99 | ISBN: 9780451490049
                  Dragon Teeth | Michael Crichton $9.99 | ISBN: 9780062473363
                  Against All Odds | Danielle Steel $8.99 | ISBN: 9781101883938
                  What Alice Forgot | Liane Moriarty $9.99 | ISBN: 9780451490445

Jim

• 6. Re: Automatic Split
                    Michael Myers

Thank you! I assumed it would show each price in each row . . . threw me off!

Michael Myers

Denver, CO 80210

Phone: +1.720.641.2501 | email: michael.myers@du.edu<mailto:michael.myers@du.edu> | Twitter: @michaelmyers

My site<http://cruc.es> | University Profile<http://portfolio.du.edu/michaelmyers>

Marketing Expertise. Experiential Learning. Locally Connected. Globally Applied.

• 7. Re: Automatic Split
                      Jim Dehner

Understand what prep does -

it is showing the relationships in the data file and providing a means to connect and clean up the data - for larger files it does data sampling so you can see relationships but it doesn't try to show all the data.

also prep is meant as front end to Tableau proper - you can do some calculations but actual analysis should be done in tableau

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 8. Re: Automatic Split
                        Jim Dehner

Hi Michael

see the attached - I have been working with someone at Tableau on this issue -

first in the attached I did the wildcard union as instructed in the video at timestamp 5:45 - and then did the auto split and it does split on the $ - it also now presents all the price points in the combined files

when I did not do the union - I got the same results you did - can't explain that but someone is looking into it

Jim

• 9. Re: Automatic Split
                          patrick.byrne.0

Hello Michael and Jim,

I am happy that you were able to find a solution to the unexpected behavior. I have brought this post to our Tableau Technical Support team that supports Tableau Prep! They will raise the issue to the development team for investigation.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Byrne, Patrick                      

• 10. Re: Automatic Split
                            Jim Dehner

Just an update to all

It appears to be in the data - can't fully explain what is going on but that one sheet 2/28 Main seems to not load correnctly

That said there are a couple of workarounds - one is to convert the file to a csv and it loads - the second is to use a manual split on the $ sign

Try the automatic split with your real data an let me know if there is an issue

Jim

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Automatic Split
                              patrick.byrne.0

Thanks for adding the update Jim!

• 12. Re: Automatic Split
                                Michael Myers

Thank you!

Michael Myers

Denver, CO 80210