3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2018 6:37 AM by Cameron Smith

Using a parameter as a filter on a dashboard

Cameron  Smith

Hi Everyone,

I am attempting to put a parameter containing about 30 different options on a dashboard. The data is funky where there are multiple options in a box ie. one box has "black" then next has "brown, black, yellow", "blue, red, orange, black" etc. I need to count the number of times a color shows up so I'm using the "contains()" formula along with the parameter "value black - display black", "value blue - display blue". This works but I need to give the end user the option to filter the data by color as it affects various worksheets. How would I do this?

• 1. Re: Using a parameter as a filter on a dashboard
          Andrew Bickert

Hi Cameron,

If I am understanding correctly, you should be able to do a Boolean statement for your color field and your parameter field. Something like this perhaps:

[Parameter1]=[Color]

I have a feeling though that I am not completely understanding the problem. Are you able to attach a sample workbook?

Andrew

• 2. Re: Using a parameter as a filter on a dashboard
            Jim Dehner

good morning Cameron

as you know Parameter don't do anything unless backed up by a formula or filter - you have already used contains with a parameter

You can split the value in the parameter (in your case color - for me it was category)

see the superstore example with state and category

simple parameter

then split the category from the parameter value

then use it in a filter

it returns this

all states are showing (could be filtered out separately) but only furniture

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 3. Re: Using a parameter as a filter on a dashboard
              Cameron  Smith

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the ideas. I ended up using a VERY long If then statement. I'll put an example of it below.

IF CONTAINS([Color],'White')Then "White"

elseif CONTAINS([Color],'Black')Then "Black"

elseif CONTAINS([Color],'Blue')Then "Blue"

elseif CONTAINS([Color)],'Green')Then "Green"

elseif CONTAINS([Color]),'Yellow')Then "Yellow"

Else "No Color"

Thank you again!