4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2018 5:27 AM by Ken Flerlage

Why publishing Data Source in extract mode on Tableau online leads to live connection once online ?

Arnaud Megret

While I love how Tableau enables you to easily create beautiful views, I am very puzzled with how you can publish what you build on Tableau Online (I guess it is the same thing with Tableau Server).

I guess that what I want to do  is not so unusual. Building views on local data-sources (mainly mysql), then publish everything to Tableau online with scheduled extract refreshes using Tableau Bridge.

I want to

Step 1 : work locally on Desktop first

-  edit my direct DS (modify the  SQL query, add columns etc)

- work on my views

Step 2 : publish both DS and Workbook on T online when step 1 is over.

My workbook contains both the direct data source (with my mysql query to put it simple) and its related online data source (DS).

The direct DS is extracted (in a .tde file)

The online DS is LIVE

So, when I have finished with step 1, I do the following :

2.1 -> publish the direct DS (without checking the "Update workbook to use the published DS")

2.2 -> replace the DS of my view to use online DS

2.3 -> publish the workbook

2.4 -> replace the DS of my view to use direct DS (to come back for the step 1 of the next evolution)

I need to replace DS because publishing a workbook that is associated with a direct DS will lead to a published workbook that won't use the published DS.

But, I encounter several problems :

First, I have sets and calculated fields that I can not edit nor delete once I switch between online and direct DS

It seems that they are embedded in the DS and when I replace it, they are no more available.

I don't understand why as they are determined by the data not part of it.

Second (and most importantly), On step 2.1, the DS published on online is LIVE while the original DIRECT DS is EXTRACT (not just checked as EXTRACT by also extracted in a .tde file).

When I chose "Publish DS to Tableau online" from desktop, it opens a window that inform me at the bottom "Tableau Online will temporarily access de credential provided fro [xxxxx] to confirm it can maintain a live data connection"

and once published, the DS on T Online is LIVE !! and there is no mean to switch that Live DS to an Extract DS on Tableau...

I would be grateful if you can help help me out this quagmire...

Arnaud

• 1. Re: Why publishing Data Source in extract mode on Tableau online leads to live connection once online ?
          Ken Flerlage

I'm not entirely sure I follow the problem, but here's my approach:

1) Build my data model in Tableau (using a Live connection).

2) Create an extract of my data model.

3) Publish the data source to Tableau Server, selecting the option to update my workbook to point to the published data source, and setting it up to refresh on a schedule.

4) Build my visualization, then publish to Tableau Server.

5) When I need to make edits to the published data source, which I inevitably will, I right-click on the data source and create a local copy.

6) I then replace the my published data source with the local copy.

7) I make the necessary changes to my data model, then publish the data source over top of the original published data source.

• 2. Re: Why publishing Data Source in extract mode on Tableau online leads to live connection once online ?
            Ken Flerlage

Hi, just following up on this one. Let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Why publishing Data Source in extract mode on Tableau online leads to live connection once online ?
              Arnaud Megret

Hi,

Yesterday, I managed to publish the data source.

I think there is a bug in Tableau Desktop.

I will try to explain simply. I have several data sources in my workbook. Let say that the one I want to publish is DS1.

DS1 is an on-premise data source and it is extract (not live).

If I click on the tab "data source" (bottom left) and select the data source DS1 then go to the menu server->publish data source, then select DS1 then DS1 is published as a live data source (I see it with the message "Tableau online will temporarily access the credential ...). That is not what I expect.

But

If  I select another data source DS2 (a live online data source in my case) in the same data source tab then go to the menu server->publish data source, then select DS1 then DS1 is published as a extract data source on Tableau Online. I am asked to schedule a refresh. That is what I expect.

I hope it will help.

By the way, I didn't know that it is possible to create a local copy of an online data source.

It is a great option. I will work as you propose from now.

Just one little question :

It looks like data sources are only identified with their names.

So, at your step 7, do you have to close DS1 and rename DS1 (local copy) as DS1 before publishing it in order to replace the published data source ?

Regards,

Arnaud

Regards

• 4. Re: Why publishing Data Source in extract mode on Tableau online leads to live connection once online ?
                Ken Flerlage

When you publish a data source to Tableau Server, it will prompt you for the name you wish to use when publishing. You can change it there or even select an existing data source. So, in this case, you could leave the name as DS1 (local copy), choose the publish option, then select the DS1 published data source and it will publish over top of that one. I tend to rename it anyway, just because I don't like seeing "local copy" in the name, but it's not required.

1 of 1 people found this helpful