2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2018 2:29 AM by Ramin Rad

Loading data only when a filter is applied

Ramin Rad

Is there a way to load the workbook data only after a filter is applied by the user?

We are using Workbooks (published to Tableau Server) as a search application, and the use case is to allow the users to search for records using basic search fields that the user can supply using filters, for example first name, last name, etc... The problem is that on workbook load, Tableau server is trying to fetch ALL the data and this is impacting the performance.

Is there a way to load the data on a published workbook ONLY after a filter has been applied? The data source is using a Live connection, and not Extract, and the workbooks are published to Tableau Server.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Loading data only when a filter is applied
          Ritesh Bisht

Hi Ramin,

Turn off Automatic Updates to Boost Performance

When you place a field on a shelf, Tableau generates the resulting view by querying the data source. When you create a dense data view that involves many fields, these queries can be time-consuming. You can instruct Tableau to turn off automatic updates to improve performance.

Automatic updates for worksheets

By default, automatic updates are turned on and the toolbar button is highlighted . However, it is sometimes more efficient for Tableau to execute the queries you need only for your final view, rather than for every intermediate step required to compose that view. You can turn off updates for worksheets by clicking the Pause Auto Updates toolbar button.

See more --->Turn off Automatic Updates to Boost Performance

Please mark the answer as CORRECT & HELPFUL if it helps you so that it can help others as well

Thanks,

Ritesh

• 2. Re: Loading data only when a filter is applied
            Ramin Rad

Thank you Ritesh. I am aware of automatic update, but please note that this question is about a published workbook that the users will be viewing on Tableau Server. I will update my original question to make sure it's clear.