5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2018 10:21 AM by Mark McGhee

Multi-node Setup for user based licensing model

kbj3030

Hi All,

Can you please answer to my questions below

We have a requirement to setup Tableau Environment on a cloud based (Azure) with user base licensing model.

1. First if all, is it possible to setup this model with user based licensing? If so, do we need to follow any hardware sizing specifications for each server.

2. During configuration of instances in servers tab, how Tableau will take the licensing components like (DS, DE, Backgrounder, AS, VS) in user based licensing model?

3. We are in a requirement to setup multi-node with High Availability model (1primary, 1 backup primary, 2 workers). So, can I go ahead with this model in user based licensing model?

4. Do we have any challenges/limitations in this setup? Any steps to be taken care ?

Request you to please suggest and reply ASAP.  

Note: Tableau version planned is 2018.2

• 1. Re: Multi-node Setup for user based licensing model
          Toby Erkson

I recommend contacting your sales representative about these questions if you need a fast and accurate answer.

• 2. Re: Multi-node Setup for user based licensing model
            kbj3030

Sure..I'm in that process. Can you give me your inputs if you have any idea on the above ask

• 3. Re: Multi-node Setup for user based licensing model
              Toby Erkson

Trinadha K wrote:

We have a requirement to setup Tableau Environment on a cloud based (Azure) with user base licensing model.

1. First if all, is it possible to setup this model with user based licensing? If so, do we need to follow any hardware sizing specifications for each server.

2. During configuration of instances in servers tab, how Tableau will take the licensing components like (DS, DE, Backgrounder, AS, VS) in user based licensing model?

3. We are in a requirement to setup multi-node with High Availability model (1primary, 1 backup primary, 2 workers). So, can I go ahead with this model in user based licensing model?

4. Do we have any challenges/limitations in this setup? Any steps to be taken care ?

Note: Tableau version planned is 2018.2

1)  Yes.  Sizing isn't always easy to determine without knowing, at a minimum, how many users will be accessing the reports and how often.  Sales rep will be better help here.

2)  I don't understand the question.  Components aren't a factor for user-based licensing.

3)  It's my understanding that 2018.2 is kind of like an auto-HA in that it doesn't need a primary and a backup primary, you just need to have 3 nodes at a minimum.  You need to read the documentation on this & talk with your engineering sales rep.

4)  Again, it all depends on your needs so that's difficult to answer without more detail.

• 4. Re: Multi-node Setup for user based licensing model
                kbj3030

Thanks alot Toby. I will explore and find out.

• 5. Re: Multi-node Setup for user based licensing model
                  Mark McGhee

Hi

Toby did a good job of answering questions but figured other folks might be looking at this thread for information.

*Only* if you're using "Core based" licensing as opposed to "Subscription" licensing will Tableau look at what processes you've placed on a node.  We do have this outlined in our OnlineHelp on which processes if placed on a node would then count the "cores" of that node.  Again, for Subscription licensing Tableau is looking at the overall number of users not the cores involved:

Tableau Server Processes  (Note:  Scroll down to see the table of processes and the last column indicates if we consider that a "licensed" process or not)

In regards to the newer component, TSM that comes with 2018.x there's a free webinar that goes into a lot of detail for folks who have the time.  It's about 30 minutes for the presentation and about another 15 minutes for Q & A that occurred:

Simplify your Tableau Server Deployment

https://www.tableau.com/learn/webinars/simplify-your-tableau-server-deployment