3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2018 10:55 AM by Andrew M

Filter to latest date value Tableau Server

Andrew M

Hello,

I'm having an issue with tableau server and the "Filter to latest date value when workbook is opened" preset. When I set to filter to latest value, the desktop version works correctly; however, my server version is not updating to show the latest date on the view.

Tableau documentation is stating: On Tableau Server and Tableau Online, presets are applied when the view first loads in the browser, but not when the browser or data is refreshed.

Does this mean filter to latest date will not work dynamically on server like it does with desktop? If yes, are there any known workarounds. Thank you!

• 1. Re: Filter to latest date value Tableau Server
          Ben Bird

An easy Workaround is the following:

Select the Relative Date option after dragging your date field to the filter card:

Then simply select "Today" under the "Days" option

This filter will stay true after uploading to Online/Server

Hope This Helps.

• 2. Re: Filter to latest date value Tableau Server
            ShivaRam Chennapragada

I have many workbooks that are filtered to latest date and work the same way both on desktop and server. I'd be curious to know if yours is a live connection or an extract? It is possible that your workbook on desktop is using a different connection to that of server. Have you checked that? What is your understanding of "Filter to recent date"? Ben's suggestion would return only today's data but not data until today. If that's something you're looking for then that works perfectly.

Andrew M wrote:

Tableau documentation is stating: On Tableau Server and Tableau Online, presets are applied when the view first loads in the browser, but not when the browser or data is refreshed.

This means, date presets would be applied when you open the browser and load the viz for the first time, but not when you refresh the browser or data once the viz is loaded. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

Shiva.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Filter to latest date value Tableau Server
              Andrew M

Thanks Ben and Shiva. Good suggestions. I spoke with our server admin and it seems like an issue related to server version 10.3, which should resolve itself once we upgrade our server. For my case, I ended up creating a Boolean in alteryx to flag the data I wanted displayed.

Appreciate your time.