7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2018 5:13 AM by Ken Flerlage

Data source changes

Pinaz Jain

Hi all,

I am new to tableau and need some help with the issue.

Scenario : I have to publish a dashboard on server for which data sources are various excel files saved in my network shared drive.

These excel files are updated by few of other team members daily. By this I mean, they delete the old one and new file is made with same format of data daily.

Before I purchase server address, want some clarifications on below issues which might come afterwards.

Issues:

1. Can we make live/scheduled data connection between shared drive's data and server dashboard ?

2. As the source data files are changing daily, how to manage this? Will keeping the same naming format of excel file can maintain the connection?

Please help!!!

Thanks in advance!

Pinaz

• 1. Re: Data source changes
          Ken Flerlage

I'd suggest that, in Tableau Desktop, you create an extracted data source based on these files, then publish that data source to Tableau Server. Also, schedule a regular refresh of that data source. You'll need to make sure that the file have the same names in order for this to work.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Data source changes
            Ritesh Bisht

Issues:

1. Can we make live/scheduled data connection between shared drive's data and server dashboard ?

Yes, you can make , I have also done that in my project.

2. As the source data files are changing daily, how to manage this? Will keeping the same naming format of excel file can maintain the connection?

1) Yes you are right , same name .

2) We used to maintain older excels in the sub-folder with name_date.xls in case you want to review the older files.

3) You can always schedule a refresh extract at a particular time.

Also you can refresh and post at the time of data source swapping (depends upon your requirements )

Thanks,

Ritesh

Please mark any of the answer as CORRECT & HELPFUL if it really helped you so that it can help others as well

• 3. Re: Data source changes
              Pinaz Jain

Hi Ken,

Thanks a lot for your help.

I got your point that we can create a extract and can upload it to server with regular refresh intervals.... but for this, do I need to keep my laptop ON ALWAYS as the data connection with shared drive is actually though my laptop ? I mean, will the connection break if I switch OFF my laptop? If so, I would not prefer this.

Please suggest if we have any alternative to this.

Thanks in advance!

Pinaz

• 4. Re: Data source changes
                Pinaz Jain

Thanks to you as well Ritesh. Really appreciate when experts like you help the newbies like me.

I really need to know a way by which the data from shared drive gets directly connected to the server dashboard. So that when I turn OFF my laptop, it does not affects the connection and working.

Also to your point, "you can refresh and post at the time of data source swapping", how can this be done? Tried to google but couldn't find exact answer to this.

Thanks you once again.

Pinaz

• 5. Re: Data source changes
                  Ritesh Bisht

Hi Pinaz,

We have a remote dedicated machine which we never turn Off.

If you are using an Extract connection it will not affect your workbook look and feel  but there will be an extract refresh failure since your laptop is off. You can still see your dashboard at your site but with no data update

( This will happen only when your laptop is off during scheduled refresh time )

You should also get a Refresh failure email.

Manual refresh ?

If you want to manually refresh then login to your system

1) Change the data source (if not already done, replacing excel with the same name )

2) Refresh your extract

Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 6.58.50 AM.png

Post your worksheet to see the latest updates at site level

Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 6.59.51 AM.png

Hope it helps

Thanks,

Ritesh

• 6. Re: Data source changes
                    Pinaz Jain

Yes it definitely helped.

Just to make sure I understand it correctly, I need to connect the shared drive data to tableau desktop workbook and publish the data source extract to server with refresh schedule every day.

Then I will make a new workbook for graphs & dashboard for which the data source is the one which I already published. Then I will publish this dashboard as well.

Whenever new data source files (with same name) are updated in shared drive, it will update the published data source and the dashboard automatically. But some day due to any reason, if my laptop is OFF, it will not get updated, and the old data will be visible. But as soon as next schedule arrives, when my laptop is "ON", it will get updated automatically.

Is it correct??

Sorry for bothering you... Just to make sure I understand the process correctly before I ask my company to purchase tableau server.

Thanks a TON !!!!!

Pinaz

• 7. Re: Data source changes
                      Ken Flerlage

You should place the file on some sort of network drive, rather than your computer.