4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2018 6:46 AM by Kimberly O'Brien

Conditional display based on render/export format

Kimberly O'Brien

In SQL Server Reporting Services, there's a global variable, RenderFormat, that specifies the render type for export (PDF, Excel, etc.).  With this, one can display/hide based on the render type -- e.g., display text box with disclaimer if exported to PDF but hide otherwise, including for viewing online.

Is there any equivalent capability in Tableau? I know it's a long shot, but if it exists, it would be tremendously helpful.

• 1. Re: Conditional display based on render/export format
          Robert Janezic

Hello Kimberly,

When you publish to Tableau Server/Tableau Public these are the options you see when clicking on the download button.

There is no option for excel unfortunately. However I believe there are multiple new Tableau Extensions that have that capability. Below is the link to the extensions gallery.

Tableau Extension Gallery (BETA)

Also to answer the question of RenderFormat, I don't believe there is any equivalent in Tableau.

• 2. Re: Conditional display based on render/export format
            Kimberly O'Brien

Hi, Robert. Thank you so much for responding!

I apologize for my original question not being clear enough. Publishing to Excel isn't necessary. What I'm trying to do is conditionally set display of a dashboard object based on whether the user is viewing the dashboard online (no display) or downloading/publishing it to PDF (or some other format). To give another example, I display links with the traditional blue-plus-underline format in the report itself, but when a user prints the report, the display changes to regular text: no color, no line.

In SSRS I accomplish this using a global variable for the render format type (PDF, CSV, etc.), by setting the report to display the formatting only when the report is published to a specified format. I could specify multiple formats, if I like: what's important is not which format, but (1) the ability to identify that the report is being rendered outside of SSRS and (2) the ability to reference that fact in a conditional statement.

I hope that's clearer, and would appreciate any help you can give. Again, thank you so much for responding.

• 3. Re: Conditional display based on render/export format
              Robert Janezic

So I'll say that there;s no functionality like that in Tableau. But that would be a cool feature and I would suggest adding it to the ideas section!

Ideas

• 4. Re: Conditional display based on render/export format
                Kimberly O'Brien

Thank you again, Robert. Yeah, it's kind of neat. I'll add it to the ideas section -- based on our conversation, I think I need to mock up some examples first to make it clear what I'm talking about.