5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2018 2:42 AM by Jan Tobor

Dashboard -show/hide sheet

Ricarda Schmidt

Hi Tableau Gurus,

I have a dashboard that shows a table with financial measures and scatter plots. The scatter plots shows Revenue vs Quantity, Revenue vs Gross Margin.

The dashboard should only show the table and one scatter plot at the time. I want to use the table to select the financial measure for the scatter plot, e.g. click Gross Margin show scatter plot Revenue vs Gross Margin, click Quantity show scatter plot Revenue vs Quantity.

Revenue is a member of the table, so a dashboard action - filter on the measures doesn't really work because it will only filter on e.g. Quantity but for the scatter plot I need the second measure Revenue as well.

I created three worksheets:

1. Table - Financial Measures

2. Scatter plot - Revenue vs Quantity

3. Scatter plot - Revenue vs Gross Margin

Dashboard Actions:

Quantity selected in table shows scatter plot Revenue vs Quantity

Gross Margin selected in table shows scatter plot Revenue vs Gross Margin

No selection on table - no scatter plot to show

Any idea how to do this ?

I'm using Tableau 10.3.5

• 1. Re: Dashboard -show/hide sheet
          Jim Dehner

Good morning

Please see the attached

it will return this

or this

Interesting problem because you needed 2 KPI's active on each worksheet

Create a Fixed LOD that is calculated before the filters are applied and add KPI to Context as shown

On the 2 scatter plots

set the filter to True

do the same on the quantity scatter with the filter shown

build the db

Note the headers on the scatters are hidden so that when the plot is empty the chart disappears in a sheet swap activity

create 2 d/b actions - one to each scatter as shown

set as shown

That should do it

JIm

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 2. Re: Dashboard -show/hide sheet
            Ricarda Schmidt

Thank you for your quick response @Jim Dehner

in your solution the LOD calculation calculates the total for a region across all KPIs, e.g. Vietnam = 548, which is then used in the scatter plot.

Following the example of region Vietnam, the Revenue vs Gross Margin scatter plot should show

Revenue = 300

vs

Gross Margin 120.

However, the proposed solution shows 548 vs 120, which unfortunately is not correct.

It is tricky - is there a way to filter on revenue on the scatter plot sheet plus the dashboard action filter KPI to filter on Gross Margin at the same time ?

• 3. Re: Dashboard -show/hide sheet
              Jim Dehner

see the attached

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 4. Re: Dashboard -show/hide sheet
                Ricarda Schmidt

I have tried this before as well.

Including the KPI in the FIXED function means that the filter action on dashboard is applied to the LOD calculation and results in the following:

Gross Margin = 120 vs Revenue (LOD calc) = 120

• 5. Re: Dashboard -show/hide sheet
                  Jan Tobor

Modifying Jim's LOD calc slightly seems to produce the desired result

{ FIXED [Region]: sum(if [KPI] = 'Revenue' then [Value] end)}