2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2018 11:30 PM by Zhifeng Koh

How can I display lat/long coordinates from different datasets in different colors on the same map?

Zhifeng Koh

Hi there,

I'm very new to Tableau so please bear with me. I just learned how to create Point Distribution maps from geospatial coordinates (latitude/longitude), exactly like this example: Create Maps that Highlight Visual Clusters of Data in Tableau.

I am trying to display geospatial coordinates from different data sets, each set representing a different type of entity. In this case, I have three data sets of geospatial coordinates.

1. Startup Dataset: Coordinates representing the addresses of about 2400 startups.
      2. Investors Dataset: Coordinates representing the registered offices of about 160 investors.
      3. Accelerators Dataset: Coordinates representing the registered offices of about 70 accelerators.

I can create the initial point distribution map, just like the example given above, using the first data source (Startups). On my map, I have colored them green.

However, what I want to do now is to display the coordinates of the Investors data set as well. I want to display Investors data points in blue instead of green.

The Investors and Accelerators data sets currently come from different data sources. I can combine all three data sets into one, but then my question becomes: How do I tell Tableau that these coordinates represent different entities, and therefore should be colored differently?

I've tried to read up on and search for this task, including such helpful external articles such as The Vizioneer: Day 3: Dual Axis Maps - Filled and Points, but I can't seem to do it. 

Thanks so much in advance!

Zhi

• 1. Re: How can I display lat/long coordinates from different datasets in different colors on the same map?
          Tim Dines

I am unable to open your twbx file, but it sounds as though you need to either blend these files or create a join of the three in the Data Source tab.  Once you have them either blended or joined, you can group them and drag to the color shelf.  This link may help.  http://kb.tableau.com/articles/howto/decding-between-joining-tables-and-blending-data

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How can I display lat/long coordinates from different datasets in different colors on the same map?
            Zhifeng Koh

Him Tim,

Thanks so much for your help. I managed to figure it out after a bit more tinkering. I apologize if I wasted your time, and I really appreciate your effort.

1. What I did was I combined all of the LAT/LONG coordinates into a single Excel sheet as a single data source. I also added a new column called Type, which indicates what kind of coordinate the data point represents. Let's call these Types A, B, C, and D.
            2. Then, I created the point distribution map by dragging LONG onto Columns and LAT onto rows, changed the pills from AVG to Dimension, which automatically generates the point distribution map. At this juncture, I have 4 types of data points but Tableau just interprets all of them as coordinates, so they are all colored the same teal-grey/bluish color (I actually have 4 sets of data not 3 as in my original question).
            3. I then looked at the Dimensions on the left hand panel, and dragged Type (the newly created column) onto the Marks panel, which automatically generated a color palette and automatically selected a color for my data points corresponding to what Type it was. I could then edit the colors/palette as I wanted.

This third step is the trick; for some reason it was not intuitive to me. However, after reading lots of other community posts in trying to solve this issue, I realized a lot of the interface relies on things that you drag and drop. So I just thought "Type" is something I want to use to dictate the display of the Marks, so that's what I did.

Thank you again for your help!

Best,

Zhifeng