0 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2018 2:41 AM by paolo.raia

Lookup values from a secondary data source (Salesforce data)

paolo.raia

Hi,

Difficult to explain this, so I hope I make sense!  I am using test data here and cannot attach a workbook just yet, but am wondering if there is some methodology that can give me the result I need.

In my primary data source, I have three fields: Code / Detail / Result:-

Code.....Detail.....Result

A............A1.........Multiple

A............A2.........Multiple

A............A3.........Multiple

B............B1.........B1

C............C1.........C1

D............D1.........Multiple

D............D2.........Multiple

Code and Detail are dimensions. Result is a calculation which returns "Multiple" if there are different Detail values for each Code, and just the Detail value if single.

Now if the result is "Multiple", I then need to lookup the table values stored in the secondary data source (below) and return those values relating to the Code:-

Code......Value

A.............AA1

A.............AA2

B.............BB1

B.............BB2

C.............CC1

D.............DD1

D.............DD2

D.............DD3

D.............DD4

So the final result would read:-

Code.....Result

A............AA1 (because this Code was a multiple, the result will return the values in the secondary)

A............AA2 (because this Code was a multiple, the result will return the values in the secondary)

B............B1 (returns the original value in the primary data source as this was not a multiple)

C............C1 (returns the original value in the primary data source as this was not a multiple)

D............DD1 (because this Code was a multiple, the result will return the values in the secondary)

D............DD2 (because this Code was a multiple, the result will return the values in the secondary)

D............DD3 (because this Code was a multiple, the result will return the values in the secondary)

D............DD4 (because this Code was a multiple, the result will return the values in the secondary)

Confused???

I am also working with Salesforce data which is a challenge in itself.

I have been spinning this around in my head, but cannot seem to find a logical solution to this.  Maybe it's staring me in the face and it's more simple than it sounds!

Thanks in advance.