6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2018 11:54 AM by Henry Shum

More than 2 layers of maps combined

Henry  Shum

Hello,

The attached files contains a dual axis map displaying Chinese water pollution data. However, the data for the pollution indicator "Percentage of Surface Water with Water Quality Index of Grade IV or Worse" is for the individual provinces, while all of the other indicators (like Volume of Industrial COD Emission (tonnes) are for individual cities.

Is there a way to format the map so that when I change the pollution indicator from "Volume of Industrial COD Emission" to "Percentage of Surface Water with Water Quality Index of Grade IV or Worse", the display of the map changes to the type of map displayed in the "WQI Map" worksheet (so that only the provinces are shown and have different shades)?

Any help provided would be much appreciated!

• 1. Re: More than 2 layers of maps combined
          Hari Ankem

You can try to implement worksheet swapping technique here. I have implemented it on a new dashboard

1. Create a calculated field to return a boolean value based on the parameter value selected as shown below:

1.png

2. Add the above to the filters in the WQI Map and select the "True" value. Ensure the parameter value is "Percentage of Surface Water..."

1.png

3. Add the above to the filters in the Water Quality Map and select the "False" value. Ensure the parameter value is not "Percentage of Surface Water..."

1.png

4. On a dashboard, place a horizontal/vertical container first, and then place the above 2 dashboards inside the container. Hide the titles for each of the worksheets. Now change the parameter values and check whether you have your desired map.

1.png  1.png

The updated workbook is attached. Hope this helps.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: More than 2 layers of maps combined
            Shinichiro Murakami

HI Henry,

Hope this helps.

I only put example for "Percentage of Surface Water with Water Quality Index of Grade IV or Worse"  and "Volume of Residential COD Emission (tonnes)"

as parameter selection, but you can expand the concept for others.

Thanks,

Shin

• 3. Re: More than 2 layers of maps combined
              Henry  Shum

Thanks for the reply Shinichiro. Unfortunately, the method you suggested did not resolve my problem, as I want a uniform colour for the Chinese provinces when the indicator "Percentage of Surface Water with Water Quality Index of Grade IV or Worse" is selected.

Thank you very much Hari for your solution as it produced something that's extremely close to what I want. I just have 3 follow up questions about some minor details:

1.I would like one legend from either of the worksheets to appear on the dashboard. Is there a way to have one legend applied to both worksheets on one dashboard?

2.Is there a way to produce something similar using only one worksheet, because I want to find a way to get rid of the "flashing" of the map when the indicator is switched to/from "Percentage of Surface Water with Water Quality Index of Grade IV or Worse".

3.If worksheet swapping is the only technique for this, is there a way to stabilize the map so that when the indicators are changed, the zoom and position of the map remains the same?

• 4. Re: More than 2 layers of maps combined
                Shinichiro Murakami

I don't really understand your comment, anyways let me know if you need further help.

You didn't explain all the parameter cases and I just tried to apply concept.

Shin

• 5. Re: More than 2 layers of maps combined
                  Hari Ankem

1. You can create a horizontal bar chart with a value based on what you have selected in the parameter, and use that as the legend. You may however need to stick with 1 color range only. So, you will need to change the colors in one of the maps and see that you use the same color for the legend sheet also.

2. With 1 sheet, it would probably turn to be a solution suggested by Shinchiro above. I do not have a solution to prevent the flashing of the map.

3. I am not saying that worksheet swapping is the only technique for this. The zoom and position of the map can be pinned though.

1.png

1.png

• 6. Re: More than 2 layers of maps combined
                    Henry  Shum

Hi Hari and Shinichiro,

I've reviewed the methods that the two of you have suggested and I think Shinichiro's is more appropriate because I want to minimize the number of sheets I want to use for a dashboard. I didn't understand Shinichiro's method at first because when I looked at the dashboard of the workbook he had attached, the provinces were of different colours for all of the indicators. What I wanted were provinces of different colours only for one indicator, and a uniform colour for the provinces for all of the other indicators.

I tried Shinichiro's method again today and it worked! I'm just wondering what the zn function is used for.

For anyone reading this who has a similar problem, make sure you use elseif in the calculated field from the second if statement onward in order to create multiple conditional statements. In my case, entering this into the City Display calculated field:

if [Water Pollution Indicator]="Volume of Industrial COD Emission (tonnes)"

then [City (Eng)]

elseif [Water Pollution Indicator]="Volume of Industrial Ammonia Nitrogen Emission (tonnes)"

then [City (Eng)]

elseif [Water Pollution Indicator]="Volume of Industrial Waste Water Discharged (10,000 tonnes)"

then [City (Eng)]

end

would make the city bubbles for Volume of Residential COD Emission (tonnes), Volume of Industrial COD Emission (tonnes), and Volume of Industrial Waste Water Discharged (10,000 tonnes) appear.

I still need to find a way to make one legend that applies to all of the indicators in the new map using what Hari described.