1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 14, 2018 9:45 AM by Antonio Cosma

Tableau Prep limitation in the number of characters in a field title

Antonio Cosma

It seems that field titles have a limitation to 124 characters. After that, the titles are simply cut without any warning.

In our workload, we have very long titles that we pivot and then split into several columns. All this become impossible with Tableau Prep and we need to come back to the old pivoting with Tableau Desktop

A simple example is attached.

Regards,

Antonio

• 1. Re: Tableau Prep limitation in the number of characters in a field title
          Antonio Cosma

Below is the answer of the technical support:

Hi Antonio,

Thank you for reporting this issue and attaching the files.

I had a consultation with our Product Management team, and due to the Excel driver used when connecting to a data source, there is currently a limitation of characters in field width, which is 127 characters.

This limitation is by design, and given this information, I am going to move this case into a closed status.

Case details may be reviewed by visiting your Customer Portal:
          http://customer.tableausoftware.com/

This support case can always be re-opened by replying to this email. Doing so will mark the case as active, and I will happily pick up where we previously left off.

Please note that you can always open a new support incident and reference this support incident number should further assistance be needed at a later time.

Thank you for being a valued Tableau Software customer!

Best Regards,

Silvia