5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2018 6:55 AM by A W

Send Dashboard as PDF attachment from Tableau Online

A W

I need to send a pdf attachment of a dashboard from Tableau Online Subscription. I can send a snapshot of View but I need to send a pdf as attachment. How can we do that?

• 1. Re: Send Dashboard as PDF attachment from Tableau Online
          Suraj  Kumar

Hi,

You can use TABCMD application to download the PDF , PNG or CSV files directly from tableau server / online.

( Though I have done with Tableau Server ; not sure about Online )

But I think it will work because tabcmd will ask for the URL where it exists and u need to provide the authentication.

In addition, as this is not by default in tableau, You may need to use third party email sending appilcation( like feebooti mail or something ) Or can write your own application using python(hint : simple code, you can find easily on anywhere on internet. ) .

You can also use windows scheduler to perform it on daily basis.

Please let me know in case you face any challenge.

Regards,

Suraj

3 of 3 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Send Dashboard as PDF attachment from Tableau Online
            Sankarmagesh Rajan

hi A W

You can use the following commands with the tabcmd command line tool in Tableau Online

Refer

tabcmd Commands

Refer

Email subscriptions with tabcmd

Email Subscriptions

Thanks

sankar

• 3. Re: Send Dashboard as PDF attachment from Tableau Online
              A W

Thank you Suraj and Shankar. I am able to download the pdf using tabcmd but can you please help me with steps to send an email after downloading the pdfs.

Thanks in Advance,

Akshay

• 4. Re: Send Dashboard as PDF attachment from Tableau Online
                Suraj  Kumar

To send PDF files through mail. You can use feebooti mail third party application which is free.

step 1 : install it in your machine

step 2 : if you are familiar with batch scripting

then write those command of TABCMD to download pdf file and then store it in your specific folder.

step 3 : write down the feebooti command in that batch file to read that pdf file from your local directory and send it across mail.

step 4 : first test it on some mail id.

step 5 : if you are successful. then use windows scheduler to send it across multiple clients .

Incase want to do on daily, weekly , monthly ,basis . then use windows scheduler to run this batch script to send those file.

It may sound little complicated but easy to implement. and also automate the process of downloading and sending the pdf file at scheduled manner. { just keep power on of that system at given time }.

If you facing any difficulty or any step above seems to be complicated . Let me know.

Regards,

Suraj

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Send Dashboard as PDF attachment from Tableau Online
                  A W

Thank you guys. I created a Power Shell for sending an email and I automated it using windows scheduler.