3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2018 6:05 AM by Okechukwu Ossai

Clone an excel in Tableau

Manuel Sanchez

Hello everyone,

I have a little problem with Tableau Desktop (v 2018.2.0). I need to clone a Excel report in Tableau with the same format. In the datebase i have the KPIs but i don´t know how to create the text rows. I don´t attach the package workbook because is empty yet, but i attach the image of the excel that i´m trying to clone in Tableau.

The measures are in the database and the dates too, my problems are the rows with the titles Option A, Option B, etc... because i haven´t a dimension with this information.

The measures that i have are disaggregment and i have 1 measure for each cell, i mean i have the measure Option A Date 1, Option A Date 2, Option A Date 3, Option B Date 1....

Sin título.png

Someone can give me a hand? Thanks a lot

• 1. Re: Clone an excel in Tableau
          Naveen B

Hi Manuel,

if my guess is right your data looks like below

Connect to Excel and Pivot the data

You will get a view like below

and then create a calculated field like below

To extract Option

To Extract Dates

Arrange your view like below

and enable the column grand totals from analysis tab

hope this helps plz mark this answer as correct or helpful to close the thread

BR,

NB

• 2. Re: Clone an excel in Tableau
            Manuel Sanchez

Hello Naveen and thanks a lot for your fast reply!

My explication was very bad, sorry, i need to clone that excel but i don´t get the kpis from excel, i get it from Oracle, so i haven´t the pivot field names. That was my question, can i create that pivot field names (option A, B, C, etc) in Tableau?

I´m thinkng in something like create a group with some specific measures and use it like dimension but i don´t know if this is possible or not.

Thanks again for your help,

• 3. Re: Clone an excel in Tableau
              Okechukwu Ossai

A good starting point will be to understand your current data structure.

How many fields are in your Oracle Database and what are their names?