7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2018 1:08 PM by Jim Dehner

Excel and Tableau

olanrewaju oyeyinka

Is it possible to transfer/ replicate data from excel with vlooup and pivot table into Tableau ?

thanks

Larry

• 1. Re: Excel and Tableau
          Jenni Davila

Try copying the values from the results of your pivot table /vlookup to a new worksheet .  That has worked for me.

Jenni Davila

Senior Data Analyst, Enterprise Technology Operations

Drexel University Online

• 2. Re: Excel and Tableau
            Jim Dehner

Good morning

the short answer is yes - understand that excel and Tableau are fundamentally different - excel is cell based where Tableau is data base driven - the excel vlookup works on 2 tables - matching a cell value on one table to a row value in a column of data in a second table then selects a cell value in that same row - you then copy the formula down the entire column - the result is a new column of data in the first table

in its simplest form the way that is accomplished in Tableau (or any other d/b driven system like Access) is create a Join between the 2 tables on the dimension (think column of data in excel) that is common between the tables - the result is the addition of a column (or more than one) in the Tableau data file

Creating a pivot in Tableau is a fundamental capability - just drag the dimensions that you want to the rows and columns - add filters to the filter shelf and place the measures (values) on the canvas

suggest you look into the tableau on-line training at Tableau Training: View Training Courses   for detailed instructions

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 3. Re: Excel and Tableau
              olanrewaju oyeyinka

Thx Jim,

I really appreciate your kind response and details explanations. Even though i have some little knowledge about Tableau and still went ahead to follow the steps that you mentioned. But i couldn't get my work resolved. The issue is that i have a spread sheet with pivot table that has a diagram to explain it, and my job is to write a conditional formatting calculated field like:

if month =1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and NB =0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7

then[count of NB =0 / total count of NB] x 100

[count of NB =1 / total count of NB] x 100

[count of NB =2 / total count of NB] x 100

I was hoping this will give me a percentage when i drop it on the column in tableau, but hence it was an error.

I really appreciate if you can figure this out for me

thanks

Larry

• 4. Re: Excel and Tableau
                olanrewaju oyeyinka

Hi Jenni,

thanks for responding to my problem, but it was not as easy as the way you just explained it. if i have something like this below as my calculated field, how can i figure this out?

if month =1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and NB =0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7

then[count of NB =0 / total count of NB] x 100

[count of NB =1 / total count of NB] x 100

[count of NB =2 / total count of NB] x 100

thanks

Larry

• 5. Re: Excel and Tableau
                  Jim Dehner

if you post your twbx work book with the data included I will look at it

Jim

• 6. Re: Excel and Tableau
                    olanrewaju oyeyinka

Thanks Jim,

How do i attach my workbook to you?

Thanks

Larry