9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2018 8:56 AM by Robert Janezic

Dashboard navigation buttons: follow up on double-click fix

Kristen Corey

Hi,

I have been working with this solution to the problem with navigation buttons staying highlighted after clicking them: https://vizpainter.com/never-ending-navigation-buttons-that-deselect-themselves/#comment-7302

This is awesome, but I am having trouble with final set up  in Desktop v2018.1. My dashboard uses proprietary data and i'm not sure how to quickly reduce it to something I can share. I have 8 dashboards, with one menu page that people can use to go to specific dashboards. On each dashboard, there should be a "back to menu" button.

A couple of questions:

1. Should you set up actions for all nav buttons before triggering the first action? The instructions suggest you do them all, but later say to do the rest after finalizing the first.
      2. I find I need to open up the Increment ID as a filter in the view, deselect all except one number, and then trigger the action for that nav button or it won’t trigger the action. Is this the correct approach?
      3. After triggering the first action, I can’t figure out how to filter on the action. My only choice in the nav button menu for filters is the Increment ID variable, not an action. What am I missing? I have searched help about action filters, but it’s mostly about filter-type actions.

I think #3 is why the actions work, but I still have to unselect the buttons after clicking them.

I haven't seen other discussions that address these issues with the double-click solutions folks have come up with.

Thanks for any advice!

Kristen

• 1. Re: Dashboard navigation buttons: follow up on double-click fix
          Joe Oppelt

I once got this to work but I can't find where I did it, nor can I recall exactly how I did it.  I do remember, though, that it involved a separate column in the navigation data source for each navigation option.  (I did 4 dashboards wherein any dashboard could go to the other three.  If I recall, it required 4 separate columns.)

And further, I ended up with multiple marks on each of the navigation button sheets, so I used an INDEX()=1 filter to show just one mark...

Let me tell you about something hopeful though.  I have Tableau 2018.3 Beta version, and they have a new dashboard object type called "Button".  It does precisely what we're trying to hack with our navigation sheets.  And it doesn't need deselection when you come back to a dashboard where you previously clicked on it.  From what I can tell, we can only navigate among dashboards with this, and there is no passing of filter values.

Positive features:  You can put a tooltip on it.  You can select an image for the button.  No need to deselect upon return to the original dashboard.

Negatives:  Only way to activate it (that I can find) is doing ALT-Click.  You can't just click on it.  So it looks like it will require user training.  I don't see a way to put a label of any sort on it.  (So I'll just float it over a text box with whatever label I want to have.)  I haven't found the exact conditions that cause it, but multiple navigations (many, not just one or two) seem to cause a hang of some sort.

This screen shot shows a default navigation button:

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Dashboard navigation buttons: follow up on double-click fix
            Robert Janezic

Hello Kristen,

I'll post a few images and explain how I did it.

So once you click one of the three buttons on Dashboard 1 it will automatically switch you to Dashboard 2 (If you have your actions setup). Now on dashboard 2 there will only be one button available. What you want to do is go to the Button 2 sheet and right click the action filter and select apply to worksheets, then click all using this datasource. Now it should be setup. Let me know if this helps

• 3. Re: Dashboard navigation buttons: follow up on double-click fix
              Kristen Corey

Thank you, Joe.

Do you recall if you created "a separate column in the navigation data source for each navigation option" in the actual data file (the "ID" variable), or do you mean creating separate calculated "Increment IDs" [IF [ID] >= 100 THEN 1 ELSE [ID] + 1 END]? I think it's probably the latter and will try that out and let you know.

That's great news about the beta dashboard button option!

Kristen

• 4. Re: Dashboard navigation buttons: follow up on double-click fix
                Robert Janezic

Kristen,

It's the latter.

• 5. Re: Dashboard navigation buttons: follow up on double-click fix
                  Joe Oppelt

Kristen Corey wrote:

Thank you, Joe.

Do you recall if you created "a separate column in the navigation data source for each navigation option" in the actual data file (the "ID" variable), or do you mean creating separate calculated "Increment IDs" [IF [ID] >= 100 THEN 1 ELSE [ID] + 1 END]? I think it's probably the latter and will try that out and let you know.

I think I had to try both, and it was separate increment calcs from one ID column.

PS:  I tried saving a 2018.3 workbook with the new buttons to an older version.  I didn't expect that to work, but you never know!

It chokes.

That would have bee really cool if I could.

• 6. Re: Dashboard navigation buttons: follow up on double-click fix
                    Kristen Corey

Thank you, Robert!

I'm not sure I understand completely. In your images, I see an action in the filters card. When I trigger the first dashboard action, it creates a standard variable filter, not an action filter. I think I have the buttons set up correctly based on your images (all buttons use the same instance of "Increment ID"). Did you set this up with multiple Increment IDs as Joe suggested above?

• 7. Re: Dashboard navigation buttons: follow up on double-click fix
                      Robert Janezic

Kristen,

Attached is the actual workbook I created. Let me know if this helps!

• 8. Re: Dashboard navigation buttons: follow up on double-click fix
                        Kristen Corey

Thank you both for your help. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I created calculated fields in the nav dataset for each of the 8 dashboards to navigate to from the TOC.  I can get the navigation to work, but still once i trigger the actions, it places a dimension filter in the filters card on the nav button views, but not an action filter, which all write ups on this approach indicate you should have. I must be missing something in the early steps.

Screenshot 2018-09-25 17.18.02.png

Anyway, the navigation is working, but the buttons require a second click to deselect them. To get the second set of buttons (back from the 8 dashboards to the TOC), I had to repeat the process with a second nav dataset. If i used the same nav dataset, and tried to go back to the menu, it erased my buttons on the TOC.

I guess this is an issue for future development on this dashboard. I'm hoping to be able to upload a dummy dashboard, but can't do that until a bit later.

Thanks again!

Kristen

• 9. Re: Dashboard navigation buttons: follow up on double-click fix
                          Robert Janezic

Kristen,

Yes I think a dummy workbook would be really helpful. If you upload with what you have, we could come back to you with potential updates!