1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 17, 2018 11:10 AM by Rachel Horne

Set the dependent filter to value based on first quick filter selection

saravana.komathinathan

Hi,

Is there a way to set the dependent filter to first value of it, based on the parent quick filter selection. Because as of now, when I change the option in the parent quick filter, the child quick filter becomes ('the previous value').

Attached is the workbook and the screenshot.

Thanks,

Sara

• 1. Re: Set the dependent filter to value based on first quick filter selection
          Rachel Horne

I am trying to do the same thing.  My data has the manager name and the agent name.  When I select one manager, I would like the agent list to only populate for that manager.

I selected 'only relevant values' based off another posting but it still is not limiting the filtered list of agents.

I changed from the multiple values dropdown to the single value dropdown. This worked for me!

I am not sure if the filter cannot process where multiple values can be selected.  It would be nice for me to select two managers and see a larger group of agents.  If anyone knows another way to get that output, please let me know.

I looked at your sample workbook and I modified the filters a bit.  It looked like the filter was applying a subset already (parent A and child 6).  I removed an re-added the filters and made the parent option a single value drop down.  You can see the 'all' as an option to view the entire data set.  I also modified the filter to reflect 'only relevant values.'  Tableau seems to default to the 'all values in database' option.

Hope this helps!