7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2018 8:18 AM by swaroop.gantela

Create radar chart

Raoul Verhaegen

Hi,

I'd like to create a radar chart based on this this guide:

https://www.theinformationlab.co.uk/2013/08/05/radar-charts-in-tableau/

However my visualisation looks nothing like a pentagon... I can't get through the first part of the tutorial.

I feel like there's something I'm not getting from the guide but I can't put my finger on it. Anybody care to help me? The Tableau workbook is attached.

Thanks a bunch,

Raoul

• 1. Re: Create radar chart
          Tim Dines

Set your Mark type to Polygon.

• 2. Re: Create radar chart
            Raoul Verhaegen

Hi Tim,

Thanks. My problem is not that the pentagon is not filled. it has to do with its shape.

On the above graph, I'm comparing three items, and they all have the exact same shape. This shouldn't be happening.

I know I'm missing something. Look at the shape of the "pentagon" on the upper right corner.

These two lines should be intercepting at their maximum, which is not the case here...

• 3. Re: Create radar chart
              Tim Dines

Have you got a distance calculation and a parameter that would allow the user to pict the distance from center?  There is a very good step by step available if you search for spider diagrams. They are essentially the same but the spider gives the coordinates and distance twice in order to get out and back. Look for an example that talks about bike paths in Seattle.

Sent from the iPhone of Timothy Dines.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Create radar chart
                swaroop.gantela

Raoul,

I don't think I got it quite right, but maybe this can give ideas.

I think there may be a few issues going on here.

There seemed to be multiple values for Avg Unit Cost,

and so this was causing the * to be returned from the ATTR() of the Relative x/y... calculated fields:

(ATTR([X])*ATTR([Pivot Field Values]))/WINDOW_MAX(MAX([Pivot Field Values]))

and so I changed it to AVG:

(ATTR([X])*AVG([Pivot Field Values]))/WINDOW_MAX(AVG([Pivot Field Values]))

and also changed the MAX([Pivot...) to AVG([Pivot...]) since your other table was showing AVG values.

Another point was that I changed the Table Calculation settings to:
                Specific Dimension: Point and Venue Description, restarting every point.

so that it would calculate the WINDOW_MAX correctly. Please see screenshot below.

Please see workbook v10.5 attached in the Forum Thread.

282767radar.png

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Create radar chart
                  Raoul Verhaegen

Thanks Tim. As mentioned in my original post, I'm already following a step by step guide.

Moreover I can't find the example you're talking about

• 6. Re: Create radar chart
                    Raoul Verhaegen

Hi Swaroop,

that's awesome thanks! What if I want to have a filter for the venue code?

• 7. Re: Create radar chart
                      swaroop.gantela

Raoul,

I think it will need to be in the same format as the Venue Filter, namely:

LOOKUP(ATTR([Venue Code]),0)

The reason for this is described here:

https://kb.tableau.com/articles/howto/filtering-view-without-filtering-underlying-data

Basically, we need to the max value for that dimension, but we can

only get that if we don't filter out the venue with the max, so the

lookup method allows us to do that.

Please see workbook v10.5 attached in the Forum Thread.