5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2018 10:09 AM by Don Wise

Dynamic tooltip viz filter issues

Esther An

Hello everyone,

I have been struggling with creating a conditional tooltip viz in Tableau. I have the following pie chart which shows the percentage of categories A, B and C. I got a 'Month' filter here so by clicking each month we would be able to see the average percentage split by A/B/C in each month.

1.PNG

I also have another three sheets which shows the last 6 month trend of A%, B% and C%, respectively.

2.PNG

My requirement is that when people hover over Category A from Sheet1, Sheet 'A' will pop up; and hovering over Category B&C will trigger sheets 'B' and 'C'. Therefore, I have created a calculated field 'Swap tooltip' and dragged that onto 'Tooltip' in Sheet1.

I would like the tooltip viz to change with the BU selection. However, at the moment hovering over Business and Retail charts in Sheet1 would display the same numbers. I suppose the reason could be that in Sheet1, BU is a Column view, but in sheets A, B and C, BU is a filter, which caused this issue?

Also, I would like the tooltip viz to change with the Month selection too. For example, when '2018-05' is selected from Sheet1, the tooltip viz shows the March, April and May trend for SheetA,B&C; when '2018-06' is selected from Sheet1, the tooltip viz shows the April, May and June trend for Sheet A,B&C. Would another calculated field be required for this requirement?

I have attached my tableau workbook. Any ideas would be highly appreciated. Thanks everyone in advance!

• 1. Re: Dynamic tooltip viz filter issues
          Don Wise

Hi Esther,

I think the attached (2018.2) workbook will help you.  Based on what you're trying to do, from a display (Viz in Tool Tip) perspective, it needed a bit more detail broken out.  I simply created duplicate sheets one each for Category A, B, C for Business Unit and same again Category A,B,C for Retail Unit and then rewrote the Swap Tooltip calculation to be more explicit to match each sheet as a filter.  It get you where you need to be. 

Another method, of course as I write this, would be to simply create two worksheets (1) Business (2) Retail and then break out (chart) the categories A,B,C.  Different way of doing it but getting to the same result nonetheless.  Hope it helps!  If yes, please mark this response as correct so that others may find it helpful in the future.  Thx, Don

Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 9.50.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 9.50.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 9.50.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 9.50.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 9.51.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 9.51.05 AM.png

• 2. Re: Dynamic tooltip viz filter issues
            Esther An

Hi Don, thanks for the answer! I was wondering if it’s possile to display the most recent 3 months of tooltip

viz if selecting each month? For example, displaying April, May and June viz if choosing ‘2018-06’? Thanks in advance!

• 3. Re: Dynamic tooltip viz filter issues
              Don Wise

Hi Esther,

Yes, but there is a trade-off.  Because your Month data is String Value, I needed to create another calculation [Months] which converts it to a date.  Then a Date Parameter was added to the sheet and your original Month filter was taken off.  The date parameter should automatically see any new date entries as it's supplied from the new [Months] calculation. An additional filter was done and applied to all of the worksheets.  Now when someone selects 6/1/2018 for example, the Viz-in-Tooltip will display the month of June + 2 months back.

The trade-off is that you lose 'All' as 'All' cannot be used in a Parameter Control where/when a date value is being used.

New workbook attached and screenshots below.  Hope it helps! Thx, Don

Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 6.04.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 6.06.35 PM.png

• 4. Re: Dynamic tooltip viz filter issues
                Esther An

Hi Don,

Thanks millions for the worksheet which does what we want! One last thing I have noticed that is we have a Sub_BU category under BU (if you click the chart it will expand) but the numbers didn’t change with the Sub_BU selections - it only displayed the total numbers for the overall ‘Business’ category. Would you be able to advise how to overcome that issue?

Thanks, Esther

• 5. Re: Dynamic tooltip viz filter issues
                  Don Wise

Hello Esther,

I looked at the original workbook and Sub_BU isn't used anywhere as a selection, filter or action in any of the worksheets. 

Therefore, being that it sounds like a new issue/question aside from the original question, one should close this thread and submit as a new question.

Thank you, Don