6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2018 6:13 AM by Koby Obeng

Tableau server repository

Koby Obeng

Hi all,

On a tableau server with many sites. I am a site administrator (not a server administrator) on one of the sites. I need to access the database in the tableau server repository either a a tableau user or a readonly user (preferred) to develop custom administrative views to enhance user experience from an IT perspective. Is this possible, (knowing the security paradigm in tableau server is segregated on the basis of site)

• 1. Re: Tableau server repository
          Matt Coles

No, there's no access enforced at the postgreSQL repository layer that would allow you direct access to only your Site's information and not the others, unless you implemented your own export of site-specific data into another data store.

BUT! You can ask your Server administrator to open postgreSQL access and use these Shareable Data Sources for Tableau Server that they could set user-filters on such that you could only see your own Site's data when you connected to them. The calculation used as the filter would need to be manually tweaked, with logic mapping each Site to the person who should have access to it.

If that's an approach that seems worth pursuing, I can provide some examples.

• 2. Re: Tableau server repository
            Koby Obeng

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the prompt reply. That sounds like something I would like to explore and would very much like to see the example on that. Also, I am assuming that this approach will still give me access to data on only my site correct! If so, will this approach be the same as downloading the log files on my tableau server site if I actually have access to that in the first place?

• 3. Re: Tableau server repository
              Matt Coles

I am assuming that this approach will still give me access to data on only my site correct!

Yes, that is correct.

...will this approach be the same as downloading the log files on my tableau server site if I actually have access to that in the first place?

No, not exactly, but it depends on what specific information you are after. The log files are not divided by site, so you'd need to parse each to weed out which entries belonged to which site. Also, they're mainly good for looking at system activity, not current state information. The PostgreSQL has both current state info (what's published, who owns it, how popular it is, what project does it live in, how many subscriptions are scheduled, etc.) as well as some activity info (who did what to what workbook and when). The logs provide more comprehensive activity info but can be a lot more difficult to get the right information out of. But again, it really depends on the specific things you're looking for.

I'll see if I can put an example together for you...

• 4. Re: Tableau server repository
                Koby Obeng

This is great. I appreciate the insights Matt. I look forward to the example. Thank you so much. Cheers!

• 5. Re: Tableau server repository
                  Matt Coles

So this is what your admin would need to do, after opening up access to the repository. This is the TS Events data source from the link I provided, but the steps would be nearly the same for all of them:

Connect the data source to your repo server:

Edit, or add the User Filter calc. This example is a manual mapping, so it would need to be updated if the Site admin list changed--but there are a bunch of ways to accomplish this more dynamically:

Add that calc as a Data Source filter:

Keep the value "1":

Now publish it to Tableau Server as its own data source:

Now when a user connects to that data source in Tableau Server, they will see data that depends on their access level. Server admins will see all data, and site admins that have been added to the mapping as shown will see only events that occurred on their own site.

• 6. Re: Tableau server repository
                    Koby Obeng

Thank you Matt. I appreciate your time. This is very helpful.