5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2018 9:30 AM by Joe Oppelt Branched from an earlier discussion.

Tooltips question

tadd.wagner

Thanks, Joe! This is a good workaround - although I always get a little nervous about floating vs tiled. I'll mark this as correct. However, after thinking about it some more, I think that if I could have the tooltip for Grand Total to specifically relate to each product, then it would actually be desirable to keep. And that would allow me to keep from using a floating sheet.

This is a piece of my dashboard

tempsnip.png

When hovering over the detail section in the bottom right, it gives me this tooltip:

pic2.png

However, when I hover over each specific product in the Grand Total Column, it provides this tooltip for the entire data set - where the bar chart on every tooltip in the Grand Total column is exactly the same. If I could make this to show the Grand Total for each product instead, then this would be preferable.

My apologies in advance for not including a packaged workbook - I'm not entirely sure how to reproduce this specific issue in a public data source.

Thank you

• 1. Re: Tooltips question
          Joe Oppelt

Here is what I am going to recommend.

Take a copy of your existing workbook.  Chop out everything but the sheet in question and the dashboard in question, and the tooltip sheet.

Then anonymize a chunk of your data.  You could probably even chop out a whole bunch of the columns.  It's the layout and functionality that's in question here, not the data.

Follow the steps demo'd in the video in this thread:

Video demonstrates how to anonymize your workbook/data

Then I'll have the dynamic of your situation to work with, and let's see what we can do with that.

• 2. Re: Tooltips question
            tadd.wagner

Thanks, Joe Oppelt

I have attached an example of my issue. When I look at the tooltips for the Grand Total column, it is giving the customer breakdown for all products, not just the one I am highlighting over.

• 3. Re: Tooltips question
              Joe Oppelt

Looking at this.

I'm not going to be able to do what I had hoped I could do.

I was hoping that I could detect which product was getting passed to the tooltip when we hovered over a grand total.  The way I tried to do that was to make a filter action that simulated the behavior of the tooltip action.  See Sheet 4 and 5.  Sheet 4 calls sheet 5 when you click on a cell.  Notice that I displayed the action's filter on Sheet 5.  It tells you the product that was selected.  (Little trick here:  Some day you may get a requirement whereby the user needs to be allowed to change the value of the drill-down sheet after and action.  This is how you can do that.)

But the filter action is not accessible at all on Grand Total in Sheet 4.  So I can't figure out what tableau is even passing on the tooltip.  (I am guessing it is passing ALL products and ALL Groups.  If I drag [Product] onto the detail shelf of the "For Tooltip" sheet, it partitions all the bars by product, and when you bring up the tooltip again on a grand total you get all the partitions in the view.)

In my opinion (and it's just an opinion -- I don't have sway over how Tableau engineers this) I think this is a bug.  Either the tooltip should behave like the filter action should, or it should only pass the product of the row we're hovering on.  (But by virtue of being a total, it should pass all the [Group calc] values for that row.)  The latter is what I would actually expect, but either behavior is better than what we have now.

Do you know how to file a Support ticket?  I recommend that you consider submitting this to Support to bring this situation to DEV's attention.  Maybe it works this way by design, and it would be interesting to see their explanation if that's the case.  You have a perfect sample workbook to submit with the Support case right in this thread!

PS:  I did my testing in 2018.3, so the behavior we're discussing still prevails in the latest beta version.  (I saved it as 2018.1 for the upload I attached here.)

---

Separate observation:

I notice that you have the grand total to the left.  That make a tiled solution like I suggested in the other thread harder (but not impossible.)

However, there is a quick fix to disabling the tooltip on the grand total here.  Look at Dashboard 1.  I floated a blank over the grand total column.  If you don't need a vertical scroll, this works. Your screenshots above don't show a vertical scroll, so this might be a quick fix to disable that column.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Tooltips question
                tadd.wagner

Thanks, Joe.

You said:

But the filter action is not accessible at all on Grand Total in Sheet 4. So I can't figure out what tableau is even passing on the tooltip. (I am guessing it is passing ALL products and ALL Groups. If I drag [Product] onto the detail shelf of the "For Tooltip" sheet, it partitions all the bars by product, and when you bring up the tooltip again on a grand total you get all the partitions in the view.)

I believe this is exactly what is happening...at least in my data it appeared that it was showing the tooltip for the entire set of data, not filtered in any way. A few minutes ago, I found this related post under Ideas: https://community.tableau.com/ideas/8928

I have never filed a support ticket before, but I'm sure I can figure it out. I will do that after lunch - it really would be interesting to hear an explanation.

There's a 2018.3? I feel like I just got 2018.2!

Finally, the floating blank works great. That's what I'm going to roll with here. It's not my ideal choice because I will be missing out on having the two important #s that I've circled in green below in the Grand Total Tooltip. But, there are other ways to view these #s (selecting individual products in the scatterplot shows these #s in the summary/header).

• 5. Re: Tooltips question
                  Joe Oppelt

Tadd Wagner wrote:

...A few minutes ago, I found this related post under Ideas: https://community.tableau.com/ideas/8928

Well ****.

I guess that's really the answer to this thread.

I added my vote to that idea.

Regarding 2018.2 and 2018.3 ...  I wasn't happy with 2018.2 for one very specific reason.  When I open an older-version workbook in 2018.2, I don't get a message that the workbook is getting upgraded.  For some reason they took it out for 2018.2.  And when I'm looking at questions from the forum, and when I open a workbook, I got really accustomed to the 10.5 behavior that not only told me the workbook was getting upgraded, but what version was the original.  That way I could make changes for the person asking the question and return the workbook in a version they would be able to open.  The message is back in 2018.3.

(Even in 2018.3, it doesn't tell me the older version was 2018.1 or 2018.2.  It only tells me about it for 10.5 or older.  And that's why I saved yours at 2018.1.)