6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2018 8:31 PM by Tushar More

How to modify a hyper extract on a tableau server?

Sam Johnson

I have a workbook (.twbx) on Tableau desktop 10.5.7. This workbook uses a hyper extract saved on the Tableau server. It contains one relational table, let's call it Member. The dashboard works fine. Requirements have changed and I need to add another relational table from the same database (let's call it claims) and join it to the Member table in the extract. How can I do this without major modifications to my existing calculated fields, hierarchies, folders, etc?

Thanks

• 1. Re: How to modify a hyper extract on a tableau server?
          Henry  Alex

I also have my workbook, and I have faced the same issue with the hyper extract  that it has not saved in a proper way, And though I got some suggestions from Toshiba Support but it was not so much helping form me, So, I also need some suggestion over that, and my workbook version is Tableau desktop 10.5.7 also same as you.

• 2. Re: How to modify a hyper extract on a tableau server?
            Tushar  More

Hi Sam,

This can be handled in different ways. Use Tableau desktop to open a workbook connected to the extract. As you mentioned it has not extracted properly so you have to re-create the extract. Make your connection live and extract it again. Before you extract, go data source page>click Add to join with another table if it is coming from another data source. If it is in the same database, you should see that table in the list on the same page.

Just drag it in the canvas and join.

~Tushar

If it helps, please mark the answer as correct and helpful.

• 3. Re: How to modify a hyper extract on a tableau server?
              Sam Johnson

Hi Tushar

Thanks for your help. But I still have the problem. Please see below:

The top left shows the extract file (PD Extract)which is coming from the Tableau server. The top right show "live" connection. You said "go to the data source page>click Add join". I do not see any place where I can add this. Are you saying that I should click on the Data button on the toolbar (second from top left) and add a new data source? Should I close the PD Extract? if I do then I lose all the sheets and calc fields that uses the PD Extract. I am using version 10.5.7

• 4. Re: How to modify a hyper extract on a tableau server?
                Tushar  More

Hi Sam,

Yes that's something you can't do when you have TS data sources. So you need to connect to your actual database using the connect pane. Join the tables you want.

Replace your TS data source with this one.

Replace Data Sources

After replacing publish this data source to Tableau server.

and that's it.

Let me know if it works or not.

~Tushar

• 5. Re: How to modify a hyper extract on a tableau server?
                  Sam Johnson

Hi Tushar

What I did was this:

• Downloaded the Extract from the server.(for folks who are facing the same problem, if you already have the extract on your desktop you can skip this step)
                  • Double clicked on the extract . This will open up tableau
                  • You can now connect to a data source (db, excel , etc.) and drag the object (for example, table or sheet, etc.) just like a regular Tableau enivironment
                  • After you make the necessary join(s), ensure that the Extract radio button is clicked. Add any filter you want
                  • Click on a tab (sheet)
                  • It will start importing the data from the new table/sheet
                  • save the extract. Now you have a modified extract
                  • You can also publish it to the server

Thanks for you help

• 6. Re: How to modify a hyper extract on a tableau server?
                    Tushar  More

Hi Sam,

That's a great news. Please mark the response as helpful and correct to close this thread.

~Tushar

1 of 1 people found this helpful