3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2018 4:21 AM by suman kumar

which is the best practice of build Dashboard either Tiled or Floating

pullarao miriyala

Hi,

Can anyone brief me about what are the advantages of using floating and tiled. which one is the best practice to build. i saw some of the blogs tiled will give the best performance vise versa some portals saying that floating is the best practice.

When i am trying to build the dashboard using tiles i am facing some of the issues like (e.g if i placed the sheets A,B,C,D as tiles in the dashboard. after some time if i remove the sheet B sheet C will occupy the entire place which is not expected.)

and tell which will give the better performance either Tiled or Floating

• 1. Re: which is the best practice of build Dashboard either Tiled or Floating
          Sankarmagesh Rajan

hi

When we use floating object then we can use this floating sheet with any sheet and also get some height and width option.

when we use tiled object it will set based on our drag area. You can manually adjust size here.

if we use Floating sheets then we can use floating order front or back. like we an hide sheets.

'When i am trying to build the dashboard using tiles i am facing some of the issues like (e.g if i placed the sheets A,B,C,D as tiles in the dashboard. after some time if i remove the sheet B sheet C will occupy the entire place which is not expected.)'

Yes if we move one sheet then other sheet will automatically occupy space. use the containers and put sheets.

thanks

sankar

• 2. Re: which is the best practice of build Dashboard either Tiled or Floating
            Jim Horbury

In most cases, irrespective of the way in which the view is used (in desktop, via tableau server, or embedded elsewhere), tiled layouts are the best option. They're easier to change and less affected by subtleties in font spacing and rendering - especially when floating elements are used in conjunction with fixed elements. There is also a fractional rendering performance gain when using fixed layouts in some versions of Tableau.

• 3. Re: which is the best practice of build Dashboard either Tiled or Floating
              suman kumar

HI,

Go through this link and you'll understand.

https://interworks.com/blog/tspaulding/2013/08/07/understanding-layout-containers-tableau/

https://www.ivisualize.co.uk/?p=1695

Tableau Battle Floating vs Tiled

For some time now I’ve been curious about floating in Tableau. Curious to try and understand it in the same way I understand tiled and layout containers.

For a new Tableau user containers may not make a lot of sense, they are also a bit temperamental and give you no room for error… But once you’ve master the use and order of containers in Tableau, the formatting and design of a dashboard becomes a lot easier. If you’ve just got started with Tableau, keep at it my friend the light is there you just have to keep going.

When showing someone the joys of Tableau I’ve always took the time to talk about containers and formatting, but I’ve recently heard a number of voices I respect and look up to, advocating the use of floating all the time. Yes you read that right, going 100% floating, not just your logo on the corner or some bit of text, the whole thing…. – “I know I was stunned too.”

I’d done a bit of dashboard floating in the past. For instance the dashboard below from my Iron Viz entry had quite a few floating elements…

…but I was really just scratching the surface there, until a couple weeks ago. For Makeover Monday focusing on the death penalty in the US I decided to go all out and try and create a fully floating dashboard.

Here’s the final result:

Death row.png

It probably took me a little longer to create than otherwise would, because I had to get my brain engaged in the floating swing of things.

But here are 3 of my takeaways from experimenting with floating, as I use it more I’m sure I’ll find others as well.

Precision Sizing

Precision sizing – in floating mode Tableau allows you to define nor only the size of the object but also the exact position. This can be extremely useful when trying to align content in a dashboard. I’m extremely picky with this and have spent many minutes making sure all my dashboards align correctly.

P

Reorder Position – Similar to Powerpoint or any layered image manipulation software, in floating mode Tableau allows you to control the order of each of the elements in the dashboard. i.e you could “send backward” a chart

R

Overlay graphics – This is truly the essence of floating the ability to overlay the charts or images in Tableau, that way we can make better use of the space around the charts we’ve created, as it was the case with the circle below. Here I’m using the chart plus two images overlaying on top of the circle.

US Children

While looking for information about floating I’ve come across this post from Nelson Davis who has also tested performance of Tiled vs Floating dashboards and floating appears to be faster. Though this was done back in 2014 and Tableau have improved a great deal since. But it’s worth bearing it in mind.

Please mark Helpful if it works for you

Best

Suman