2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2018 5:13 AM by Rodrigo Selari

Tableau Server (Azure) x Office 365 (SaaS)

Rodrigo Selari

Hi Experts

I want to know if any of you are experiencing issues between Tableau Server 2018.2 and the Office 365 tools, in particular SharePoint. I have some users complaining that sometimes (it´s not all the time) when they try to refresh their dashboards (posted as a embed code in SharePoint page) they get a error message that indicates some connectivity issue but it they try to log in a different time the problem doesn’t happen again. This happens with both Chrome or IE and in different locations (users logging from Home, from Office, etc). And never with one user only.

Does anyone experienced something like that?

Do we know if there is full compatibility between both ?

Basically it´s a randomly issue.

Any clue?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Tableau Server (Azure) x Office 365 (SaaS)
          patrick.byrne.0

Hello Rodrigo,

Can you share the error message that the users are being presented? A screenshot would be the best. I have not found any other reports of similar behavior but possibly I can find something with information on the error being received that could give us a clue.

Cheers,

Byrne, Patrick

• 2. Re: Tableau Server (Azure) x Office 365 (SaaS)
            Rodrigo Selari

After long research and even Tableau was aware of that, I found the solution by myself.

The solution gave by Tableau consultants were:

1 - Due to the new subscription license mode you lost the guest capability, which means, access Dashboards through SharePoint pages are no longer possible unless you use Web parts.

2 - So I looked to my SharePoint team and tried to install the Web Parts but, they are only available in SharePoint on premise and most of the clients (including me) are moving to cloud (O365) so this functionality has been disabled. So Tableau didn’t know what to do.

3 - They sent us a 3rd partners to help us to investigate this and they proposed a custom code (xml or java) to fix that, again it won’t be possible because we don’t want customizations in our SharePoint

4 - we were almost giving up, when I found a small check box that I´ve not tried up that time in the server:

Tableau Servers > TSM > Configuration > User Identity & Access > Authentication Method > Enable automatic sign-in using Microsoft SSPI (Security Support Provider Interface)

There is a check box on the left side and by default is unchecked, if your Tableau server is set to use AD to authenticate, just set that box and reboot the server, now the SharePoint will pass the credentials to tableau server and allow the login automatically.

Amazed that nobody knew about that (I open cases, Tableau came around, did virtual sessions, their consultants visit our sites, I researched in many sites for weeks and just simply fixed with a flag. Anyway, I´m glad that issue is solved now and more happy that I´m able to share this to all of you.)

Cheers