8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2018 5:07 PM by Elie Rahi

Cohort Analysis

Elie Rahi

I would like to do a cohort analysis of our website users from the date signed up, attached spreadsheet.

We have defined a user to be non-active if there are no logins made within the last 4 months.

I'd like to see this segmented by state in a "step triangle" table and as a visual. Is it also possible to have a parameter selection where the user can select the segment by state or by some other factor such as age?

• 1. Re: Cohort Analysis
          lei.chen.0

Hello Elie,

I'd like to confirm about your specific requirements since they don't sound clear to me.

Elie Rahi wrote:

We have defined a user to be non-active if there are no logins made within the last 4 months.

The calculation could be done with LOD.

Elie Rahi wrote:

I'd like to see this segmented by state in a "step triangle" table and as a visual. Is it also possible to have a parameter selection where the user can select the segment by state or by some other factor such as age?

What's the KPI's you expect to see in the table and VIZ?

For example, average active period per customer, the average login counts per customer, & etc...

And here's a refer.

Top 15 Tableau LOD Expressions (Practical Examples)

Regards

Lei

• 2. Re: Cohort Analysis
            Elie Rahi

Hello,

In the table I'd like to see the % of members that are still active from 1 month of sign up, 2 months of sign up, 3 months of sign up, 4 months of sign up etc. Would like this to be split by state so we can make state comparisons.

• 3. Re: Cohort Analysis
              Elie Rahi

Hi Lei, did you have much luck with this?

• 4. Re: Cohort Analysis
                lei.chen.0

Hello Elie,

Not yet.

I'm still observing the data.

At the very beginning I filtered out three kinds of data which seems invalid.

1. user id null

2. login data without matching signup data

3. login date time earlier than signup date

I have a question about this case. Take user id 1304 for example.

Is this understanding for status correct?

Regards

Lei

• 5. Re: Cohort Analysis
                  Elie Rahi

Can you attach this in a spreadsheet so I can see your workings

• 6. Re: Cohort Analysis
                    lei.chen.0

Hello Elie,

I just randomly took user id 1304 for example, temporarily pasted the data subset in Excel and made a few comments for confirmation use.

After taking the screenshots, I closed it without saving, so there's no spreadsheet to attach.

Regards

Lei

• 7. Re: Cohort Analysis
                      amar savale

Hello,

. 1)We have defined a user to be non-active if there are no logins made within the last 4 months. please find below attachment,

2)I'd like to see this segmented by state in a "step triangle" table and as a visual. Is it also possible to have a parameter selection where the user can select the segment by state or by some other factor such as age?

please explain your second requirement.

Thanks,

Amar D. Savale

• 8. Re: Cohort Analysis
                        Elie Rahi

Hi Amar,

I try to open the file attached but i'm greeted with this message and it' won't open;

I'm looking for a graphic something along the lines like this:

This tells us that at sign-up (month 0) 100% of users are active then over time this proportion reduces as more and more users become non-active. After 24 months of sign up only 15-35% of the users remain active depending on the state etc. The example above is segmented by state. Was hoping, if the functionality in Tableau permits it, to change the segmentation to age group or some other discrete factor at the click of a button. I've seen radio buttons on the side of a visual like below, where users can make a single selection.