2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2018 3:46 AM by Satish Ramakrishna

How to show two different sets of locations on same map?

Satish Ramakrishna

I have a data set which contains student and school locations (lat & long) in the same table. I want to show both the students & campuses on a single map. Students and campuses should be of different color to distinguish. How can I do it?

The dataset will look something like below.

StudentLatLongCampusLatLong
      138.95823-76.9974A38.85905-76.993
      238.8946-76.9792A38.85905-76.993
      338.92615-77.0054B38.82905-76.993

I need 5 dots on the map (2 students & 2 campuses). Possible?

• 1. Re: How to show two different sets of locations on same map?
          chris monger

Hi Satish,

It's possible - getting the two types of dots on the map under different colours is fairly easy, but with the way the data is in the same rows is a little more complicated, as you need to duplicate the rows and have one set as students and one as data.

I've attached an example where I've done this, I've unioned a CSV with the data in, then set one copy to be student, and the other to the campus using the table name.

Then I've created variations of the lat/long which pick up from the relevant field for the type and added them to the map.

After that it's just a case of using the 'type' field for a colour.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to show two different sets of locations on same map?
            Satish Ramakrishna

Thanks for the reply, Chris. Your solution works in simple scenarios.  In my case the data is more than 10 million records and growing. I have a lot of measure like performance, attendance etc in the data. So, duplicating records is not a feasible solution. Can we do it in a more efficient way?