2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2018 10:25 PM by Sourabh Dasgupta

Does Tableau Extract and Published Data Source have versions too?

Heqing Huang

Hi Community,

Questions about the versions of .tde or .hyper file. For every product release, say 2018.1.0, there would be a new version for .twb file. I wonder if the same software update apply to .tde or .hyper files as well.

Furthermore, does version matter in Published Data Source (Live)?

I just don't see anything related on the Tableau Product Releases page. Thanks!

Heqing

• 1. Re: Does Tableau Extract and Published Data Source have versions too?
          lei.chen.0

Hello Heqing,

Data source has versions,

Workbook Version Compatibility

Heqing Huang wrote:

Furthermore, does version matter in Published Data Source (Live)?

Quoted from the online help reference.

Version might matter a little.

Connecting to Tableau Server-based data sources

Workbooks in Tableau Desktop can use data sources that have been published to later versions of Tableau Server. However, if you connect to a data source that uses features that aren't in that earlier version of Tableau Desktop, those fields are unavailable.

For example, suppose you create a workbook in version 8.2 of Tableau Desktop, and then connect to a data source on Tableau Server version 9.0 that contains fields that include level of detail expressions. In that case, those data fields are unavailable in the Tableau Desktop 8.2 workbook, because level of detail expressions were not available until Tableau 9.0.

Workbooks created in Tableau Desktop can always use data sources from an earlier version of Tableau Server. For example, a Tableau Desktop 10.1 workbook can use data sources from Tableau Server 10.0.

Though not for sure, I don't think data extract has versions, but formats.

Before 10.5 tde, from 10.5 hyper.

About Extract Upgrades from .tde to .hyper

Regards

Lei

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Does Tableau Extract and Published Data Source have versions too?
            Sourabh Dasgupta

I think the Hyper files or TDE files do not have any versions.