6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2018 12:11 PM by Hari Ankem

Parameter with 3 different groupings?

Chad Clauson

Hi, I wanted to make a dropdown filter with 3 different options. The best way to accomplish this I figured would be with a parameter. My parameter is based on a field called Error Type (string). Now there are 15 or so different error types but I only want to show 3 options: Informational Error, Critical Error, and all errors excluding informational error (essentially the other 14 errors, one of which is critical error). How can I accomplish this? Informational Error and Critical Error are specific error types which are easy to implement, but I don't know how to implement the third one which is all of the errors except for informational.

• 1. Re: Parameter with 3 different groupings?
          Deepak Rai

What you can do it , you can give numeric values to your data, Like Informational Error, Critical Error should be 1 and 2 and rest others Except Informational, whatever you have as 3 for all values. I think you should keep them as String. and then Create Parameter with String where you can show your 3 values like Information, Critical , others but they may have values like 1,2 3 and then you can easily manipulate using a Calculated Field.

Thanks

Deepak

• 2. Re: Parameter with 3 different groupings?
            Hari Ankem

Since you have not provided your data or a packaged workbook, I am using the Superstore data and have given aliases to the sub-categories. Hope you can get it.

1.png  1.png

1.png

And this is what I have written in the condition filter for sub-category:

( [Error Types]="Informational"

AND ([Sub-Category]="Bookcases"

OR [Sub-Category]="Chairs"

OR [Sub-Category]="Tables")

)

OR

( [Error Types]="Critical"

AND ( [Sub-Category]="Copiers"

OR [Sub-Category]="Machines"

OR [Sub-Category]="Phones" )

)

OR

( [Error Types]="All"

AND ( [Sub-Category]!="Bookcases"

AND [Sub-Category]!="Chairs"

AND [Sub-Category]!="Tables" )

)

1.png

Hope this helps.

• 3. Re: Parameter with 3 different groupings?
              Chad Clauson

Hi, I have attached a sample excel file with data. There are more buckets than this but I'm showing a small sample of them. Given that there are more buckets, the bar chart will be much bigger making it harder for the user to find the exact bucket they want without using a filter. I can simply create a filter but the filter will give me all the options. I only want them to see 3 options on the dropdown instead of all the buckets - Critical, Informational, and then All (which shows all buckets except for informational; that means include critical as well). If they were to check the Informational box in the dropdown, it would only show 1 bar - the Informational bucket. Similarly for Critical Edits. The All check box would show all bars except for the informational one.

• 4. Re: Parameter with 3 different groupings?
                Hari Ankem

Like this?

1.png

1.png

1.png

And this is what I have in the filter:

[Bucket Classification]=[Bucket Classification Parameter]

OR

([Bucket Classification Parameter]="All"

AND

[Bucket Classification]<>"Informational")

1.png

• 5. Re: Parameter with 3 different groupings?
                  Chad Clauson

Exactly! Thanks for continuing to help.

• 6. Re: Parameter with 3 different groupings?
                    Hari Ankem

You are welcome.