2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2018 9:27 PM by Kapil Lehar

Using Joins to combine multiple data sources(not blend)

Kapil Lehar

Hi,

So I still keep hearing that blend is used for combining multiple data sources but join isn't.

I wanted to used it in my project but just wanted to confirm if joins can be used to combine multiple data sources using the 'Add' button on the data source page of tableau.

Also when i tried to use that, I found some calculations were not working with the new dataset that i joined, but started working as soon as i changed the connection from live to extract? What is going on here?

• 1. Re: Using Joins to combine multiple data sources(not blend)
          Naveen B

Hi Kapil,

if joins can be used to combine multiple data sources using the 'Add' button on the data source page of tableau.?

Yes with ADD Connection you can join the tables from different data sources which is called cross data base join feature in Tableau

I found some calculations were not working with the new dataset that i joined, but started working as soon as i changed the connection from live to extract? What is going on here?

Your database doesn't support some of the calculations when you tried to create a extract which means you are converting live data tableau extracted data which is stored in RAM and its tableau compatibility data source that's why you are seeing the calculations work after extracting the data

Hope this helps

Plz mark this answer as correct or helpful to close the thread

BR,

NB

• 2. Re: Using Joins to combine multiple data sources(not blend)
            Kapil Lehar

The database does support the calcs but it doesn't allow cross calculations