4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2018 11:31 AM by jon rios

change header values which are measure names

jon rios

hello, i have measure names as my header names, they are descriptive for my formulas but unnecessary as a header, i want to  condense the name.  I changed the "alias" but i have a different chart with different ,measures name but signify the same alias name... "alias name already exists".  is there a way to create a calculate field to change the header that are measures???

• 1. Re: change header values which are measure names
          Naveen B

If alias name already exists give a space after or before

Like alias 1 is Jon

alias 2 would be Jon<Space>

If you want different aliases for the same measure then it wont be possible. only way is to duplicate the measures and use the respective measures accordingly based on your worksheet representation.

Eg: Sales is measure

If i want show sales as Sales by Region in One worksheet

and sales by state in Another worksheet

On the same measure its not possible so need to duplicate use them respectively

Hope this helps

Plz mark this answer as correct and helpful to close the thread.

BR,

NB

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: change header values which are measure names
            Shinichiro Murakami

Sometimes it's better convert measure names to dimension with using "Pivot".

Then handling names becomes extremely easier.

But depends on your data structure.

Pivot Data from Columns to Rows

Thanks,

Shin

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: change header values which are measure names
              John Sobczak

I get the alias name exists all the time and as bad of a practice as it may be I just add a space at the end of the name so it accepts it.  I don't waste time on overthinking it and just take the path of least resistance.  In fact it has gotten so bad at times that I've gone up to 3 spaces

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: change header values which are measure names
                jon rios

@John S.  yes,dont feel bad, i think i will have to add 3 spaces as well,

each measure is different, but the column header can be the same between 4 charts, since the parameter hold the name of the measure and displays it, and these measures take up too much space as headers, i want to create alias or have the column header change by calc field...