4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2018 3:18 AM by Sai Sri B

Published data source

Sai Sri B

Hi Team,

I have a published data source with so many calculations in it and which is in 2GB of size.

Requirement: I now wanted to make few more changes to the published data source as per new requirement.

Issues:

1. As per my knowledge, to make any changes to the published data sources, we need to download the data source, modify it and then publish it. I'm unable to download the data source or create a local copy of it due to the size of the extract(2 GB).

2. Is there any way I can create a data source filter to restrict the number of records/size of the extract? I tried with "Data Source Filter", it appears to me it didn't work somehow (I still see the complete extract getting downloaded)

3. If I create a fresh extract then how can I get the calculations created from already published data source?

• 1. Re: Published data source
          Naveen B

Hi Sai Sri,

1. As per my knowledge, to make any changes to the published data sources, we need to download the data source, modify it and then publish it. I'm unable to download the data source or create a local copy of it due to the size of the extract(2 GB).

> What is the error you are getting while downloading the extract to local

2. Is there any way I can create a data source filter to restrict the number of records/size of the extract? I tried with "Data Source Filter", it appears to me it didn't work somehow (I still see the complete extract getting downloaded)

> Yes , Click on Extract --> Create a extract filter on top of any field you want --> Click ok

3. If I create a fresh extract then how can I get the calculations created from already published data source?

> Yes this can be doable follow the below steps

1) Once you created the extract of Published data source (in Step 2) --> make it a local copy(Editing a Published Data Source | Tableau Software )

2) Open the workbook

3) Add a new data source ( CTRL + D)

4) Drag all the calculated fields which you created to new sheet

5) Click on Published data source --> Replace data source (Replace Data Sources )

6) Replace the data source with the new data source

7) Once you have done the replace automatically your calculations will be added to new data source

8) Click on extracted data source (1) --> Close the connection

9) Do the necessary changes --> Publish the datasource to server with the same name --> You will get a popup which will ask like "Rewrite the data source" --> Click ok

Now you are done with new extract added to server with the necessary changes

Points to Remember:

1) Column Names should be same

2) Data types should be same

3) All the columns should be present

Hope this helps

Plz mark this answer as correct/helpful to close the thread

BR,

NB

• 2. Re: Published data source
            Sai Sri B

Hi Naveen,

Please see my comments below:

> What is the error you are getting while downloading the extract to local

Sai Sri comments: It was not showing any error message. For downloading 2GB of extract it takes 5-6 hrs due to the VPN connection. On the other hand, after downloading 500 MB or 700 MB of data, the download gets interrupted after 1 hr. I had to start the download from scratch.

> Yes , Click on Extract --> Create a extract filter on top of any field you want --> Click ok

Sai Sri comments: Though I apply the extract filter, the published data source still has 2GB of data.

Example: I have data for 53 states which is 2GB of data in size. I did apply filter on state=MN then my extract should be having 100 MB of data. But while downloading the data, it still shows 2GB of data on the status bar. Meaning that my extract filter or data source filter was not applied on the published data source.

• 3. Re: Published data source
              Sankarmagesh Rajan

Hi Sai sri,

Why you are downloading data source.

Just connect tableau server published  data source and change whatever you want and then publish to server again.

Thanks

sankar

• 4. Re: Published data source
                Sai Sri B

Hi Sankar,

I wanted to create few complex calculations using parameters, quick filters etc.,Because of this I wanted to download the data source first and create the calculations and then override existing published data source with new downloaded/modified data source.