4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2018 6:14 AM by tadd.wagner

2 different time periods on same line graph

tadd.wagner

Hi there,

Please see the attached workbook, as I am trying to combine the past 12 weeks and those 12 weeks a year ago on a single graph instead of two separate ones.

Basically, I want to add last year's 12 weeks as a second line on the initial graph of the current 12 weeks.

This is the calculated field I have made:

Thanks in advance!

Tadd

• 1. Re: 2 different time periods on same line graph
          Joe Oppelt

This is what I often do for things like this.

See attached.  First of all, I put your calc on colors to break things apart by the proper segments.

Then, go to the copy of your sheet.  Look at [Display Order Date].  I run the data along a common date range.  In your case I added 52 weeks to last year's data.

Now it all shows up in one place.

See attached.

• 2. Re: 2 different time periods on same line graph
            Joe Oppelt

PS: You probably don't want to expose "Null" in that filter to the user.

If you're not giving the user the chance to select values, then you're all set as it is.  But if you want to hide NULL, make a copy of your calc that I put on colors.  Put that copy on filters and do EXCLUDE on the NULL option.  Then expose the real calc to the user for selection.  Select "only relevant" for the user's calc.

• 3. Re: 2 different time periods on same line graph
              tadd.wagner

Great, thanks Joe! I won't allow for the user to select values. this chart will be at the top right of this dashboard (there will be no big blue spots, of course )

I'm completely understanding your logic for "Display Order Date." Very simple solution and just what I'm looking for. However, if I want to have the previous week be included in the prior 12 weeks line (not just a single circle), is there a simple way to do this? The reason I had it separated in "Week Type for Comparison" was because I wanted to focus a lot of the dashboard's details on only the previous week.

Thank you!

• 4. Re: 2 different time periods on same line graph
                tadd.wagner

Nevermind on that follow-up question. Just created a duplicate of "Week Type for Comparison" to use only for this top right graph in the dashboard. I just combined prior 12 wks and previous wk for the graph only. Thanks again, Joe.