13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2018 3:15 PM by Scott Carman

Dashboard Action to show Row Level Detail

Scott Carman

Hello and afternoon to everyone!

My project involves contract information.  The goal is to show the count of contracts for an organization.  That's pretty simple = COUNTD([Contract Award Number]), which displays a number such as 157.  I am then bring this sheet to my dashboard and display the number as a metric.

Ok so this is the part that I am stumped at:  To count you have to use a measure such as COUNTD.

What I want is for my users to be able to click on the metric of 157 and "travel" to another page to see the row level details of the contract such as the start and end date, amounts, contracting officer, etc.

Anyone have some good ideas on how to achieve this modality?

Thank you,

Scott

• 1. Re: Dashboard Action to show Row Level Detail
          Joe Oppelt

Going to a different page (dashboard) is the basic function of a filter action.  You specify a source sheet (where your user clicks on 157, for example) and one or more dimensions that are on the sheet (such as organization), and a target sheet that can be on any dashboard.  The action goes to the target sheet, loads the value associated with the mark from which your user clicked (such as the organization that had 157 contracts) into the source sheet, and displays that sheet as if the user had selected the organization as a filter on the sheet.  (Thus it's called a filter action.)  The target sheet will show whatever you've designed to be shown about that organization.

You mentioned that the user would see "the contract".  the value 157 isn't associated with a contract.  It's a countd of the contracts for an organization.  You moght want to explain what you are expecting to happen when the user clicks on 157.  Which one of the 157 contracts do you want the user to see?

• 2. Re: Dashboard Action to show Row Level Detail
            Scott Carman

Hi Joe!

Thanks for your response.  You description of how a filter action works, is spot on.  It's what I thought I was doing, hence why I stopped to ask the question.

Here's is an example of what I want:

Source: COUNTD([contract award number]) = 157

Target:  On rows [contract award number]

Based upon what I know, after you click you should see just the 157 contract award numbers.

The error that I am getting is when setting the action, Tableau says that the source is missing a field.  I suspect that it is because I am only using COUNTD([contract award number]) and not [contract award number] in my source viz.

See in my source viz I only want to display the number, not a chart or graph.  Hence why I am asking the question of how to do this?

Does that make better sense?

Scott

• 3. Re: Dashboard Action to show Row Level Detail
              Joe Oppelt

Scott Carman wrote:

The error that I am getting is when setting the action, Tableau says that the source is missing a field. I suspect that it is because I am only using COUNTD([contract award number]) and not [contract award number] in my source viz.

See in my source viz I only want to display the number, not a chart or graph. Hence why I am asking the question of how to do this?

Does that make better sense?

Scott

You have that exactly right.  Tableau has no idea which one of the 157 contracts to pass.

And if you put contract number on your source sheet to satisfy the error, you'll end up getting 157 marks instead of 1 on your source sheet, because Tableau will want to put something for each contract under that organization.

So I'll ask again.  Which one of the 157 contracts do you want sent to the target?

If you sent the organization, your target sheet can display that one organization with its 157 contracts.

• 4. Re: Dashboard Action to show Row Level Detail
                Jim Dehner

see the attached

there are 2 versions - one just with the 2 worksheets and this action filter

go to Worksheet then action filter and add action

set it up like this

click on any name on the summary and it will take you to that person and detail that you put on the detail [age

the other uses the dashboard

and set up a dashboard similar to the worksheet action

it will return this

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 5. Re: Dashboard Action to show Row Level Detail
                  Scott Carman

Joe,

I understand what your saying and I am trying what your asking but it still isn't working.

Scott

• 6. Re: Dashboard Action to show Row Level Detail
                    Joe Oppelt

that last message doesn't give me a lot to go on.

Can you hack up a sample workbook and upload it here so we can work together on it?

• 7. Re: Dashboard Action to show Row Level Detail
                      PANKAJ SHARMA

Error coming in above scenario is a valid error.

We should have some dimension in common on both source and destination sheets for action filter to work properly.

Now in your case:

Sheet 1 : Only COUNTD([contract award number])  is available in the view.

Sheet 2: Lets say, we have contract number,start date and end date.

I do not see any linking dimension between these 2 sheets. Now, we need to create something which can connect in both sheets.

Workaround:

Step 1: On sheet 1, include contract number, start date and end date on row shelf  and also include discrete index()  measure on row shelf.

Step 2: Make sure to have {COUNTD([contract award number])}   as a fixed LOD expression.

Step 3: Filter Index() = 1

Step 4: Unclick show header for contract number, start date and end date , index()  on view.

'Step 5: On dashboard, create an action filter with 'selected field' option and choose contract number, start date and end date on both sheets.

You can do minor changes on selected field section as per your requirement.

Pankaj

• 8. Re: Dashboard Action to show Row Level Detail
                        Scott Carman

Ok Joe,

I figured it out.  When I created this sample and did what you said in your first reply, it worked beautifully!

So here is where the issue lies - filtering.

Because I am trying to apply a global filter for the level of my hierarchy that I am using, it doesn't get passed over to my target sheet, hence why Tableau can't figure out how to show just the PO NBR that I want to see.

So I think I need to apply the filtering to all sheets in my dashboard and not rely upon Tableau to filter the orgs for me.  I thought because I have the metric filtered to that level of the organization it would pass that to the target.

I am trying to attach a sample workbook.

• 9. Re: Dashboard Action to show Row Level Detail
                          Scott Carman

Pankaj,

I tried what you suggested but it didn't work.  All came up with is 1 and 0 in my viz, not a count showing the count of contract award numbers.

Not sure what I did wrong.  Can you please tell me more about INDEX?  I have heard about it being used but not sure I totally get the concept.  Please see my reply below for a sample workbook.

Scott

• 10. Re: Dashboard Action to show Row Level Detail
                            Joe Oppelt

OK, I have it open.

So from Source Sheet 1 you want to go to Target Sheet.

What do you want to see on Target?  Just Admin?

• 11. Re: Dashboard Action to show Row Level Detail
                              Joe Oppelt

In the attached I have the action passing the Level2  value to Target.

• 12. Re: Dashboard Action to show Row Level Detail
                                Scott Carman

I opening your workbook you sent now.

To answer your first question - I want to see the contracts that make up either the 5 or 10 depending upon what you click.  So if click the contracts assigned to Admin, then show those contracts.

• 13. Re: Dashboard Action to show Row Level Detail
                                  Scott Carman

This is correct and what I want to do.  Thanks for your help!

So I went back and removed all the filters that I had applied.  I then added pills back one by one while trying the action I want ultimately. By doing this I finally got the action that I wanted.

I think the cause of my problems was having unequal pills in the view originally.

Thanks for working through this with me.

Scott