1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 29, 2018 5:34 AM by Rob Palmer

Error while restoring a Backup file from v10.4 to v2018.2

Amit Rajpal

Hello,

We recently installed a Tableau Version 2018.2 and while restoring the backup taken from v10.4. It fails with following error:

Restoring 'Backup.tsbak'...

Using server-side file name 'Backup.tsbak'

Job id is '10', timeout is 2880 minutes.

3% - The backup file uses a different authentication method than the current con

figuration and would result in inaccessible user accounts (in backup: {wgserver.

authenticate=local}; on server: {wgserver.authenticate=activedirectory}).

6% - Deleting temporary backup file.

10% - Cleaning up restore data on all nodes.

13% - Uninstalling restore services.

Restoring the backup 'Backup.tsbak' was unsuccessful.

See 'C:\ProgramData\Tableau\Tableau Server\data\tabsvc\logs\tabadmincontroller\t

abadmincontroller-*.log' on Tableau Server nodes running the Administration Cont

roller process for server log information.

Log file is not of much help.

Does anyone came across this issue and know how to resolve the same ?

Thanks in advance for the help!

• 1. Re: Error while restoring a Backup file from v10.4 to v2018.2
          Rob Palmer

Did you have any issues with the install of 2018.2? I had a similar issue with restoring a backup. The tips that support gave me to get it resolved:

1. Try backing up the 2018.2 instance and then restoring that. If that backup fails then it's something more fundamental
          2. If that works and you have SSL setup on your other server, then try disabling SSL before running the backup
          3. If that still fails and your using a VM, then try setting up a new VM and doing a clean install, configuring the environment and then restoring

Otherwise it's a support call I think