6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2018 7:51 AM by Jon Dugger

Do you need Analysis Services server to connect to a local Cube file?

Peter Lammers

*Edited: New question. Do you need Analysis Services server to connect to a local Cube file? I just want to connect to the cube file and access the data through Tableau Desktop.

I am using the trial of Tableau Desktop 2018.2. I downloaded the supercube cube file and the driver from that Connecting to Cubes training video.

-I installed the driver and unzipped the cube file.

-I say I want to connect to a file by selecting More and browsing to the cube file.

-I use the defaults: Step1 is pointed to local cube file, Step2 is Windows Authentication.

-I click connect and get the error message below. I have tried this on 2 different PCs (Windows 8 64bit and Windows 10 64bit). I checked permissions on the cube file and they look good. I did nothing with the cube file other than unzip and copying it.

Any ideas what is going on?

Error message:

An error occurred while communicating with Microsoft Analysis Services.

Unable to connect to the server. Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database.

Unable to connect to the server. Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database.

Analysis Services database error 0x80004005: The following system error occurred:  The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Analysis Services database error 0x80004005: File system error: An error occurred while opening the 'C:\CubeData\SuperCube.cub' local cube file.